Switching from MH to Par38 (now rapidled diy)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by DBOSHIBBY, Jun 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Oh, I thought u were getting an 8 inch. Yeah I wouldn't go less than 8. I was going to get a 30 x 8 from heatsink usa. Sucks u gotta pay more shipping but I would rather have one big one instead of 2 seperate since mine won't be in a hood

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

ya i think ill go with the 10" heatsink.
    i would rather do one heatsink but mine will be in the canopy and plus i dont want to have leds over the center brace.
    well that drives the price up another 60 bucks.lol

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

If you've never heard of Meanwell drivers, then you obviously haven't been on Rapid either. And it does have fans, perhaps read the list? And you can specify different heatsinks. You obviously didn't read my post.

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

that kit is also xr crees not xp.

6. insanespain

The only option it gives for dimmable drivers in the kit are "Inventronics". Last time I checked that isn't a Meanwell.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

The first drivers are Meanwell, they have the same ones on Rapid
    MEAN WELL | LPC-35-700 | 35 W Single Output 48 V Short Circuit Protection AC/DC Switch Power Supply - Future Electronics
    As for the inventronics, they make Thomas Research Drivers, which are respected, so "no one's ever heard of" is not true.

Also, you can fit those LEDs on that heatsink, look on the website, there are pictures. [​IMG]
    Please before you say things such as the above, find somewhere to backup your info. I'm sorry that when I find a good deal, I post about it. Its just an idea, you don't have to agrre with it or go with this option, but please, don't just bash people's info and ideas.:p

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Sure you CAN physically fit those leds on that heat sink, but look at the picture, those are way to close together. You would have to hang that so high over the tank to get spread it would be ridiculous. That's just not an efficient use of the leds imo.

Also, I don't care what that first overview says, I see no options on that website to order a kit with dimmable meanwells. Plus dbo already mentioned the fact that they aren't even the same leds as the rapid kit.

I'm not bashing ur info, just stating that you are comparing apples with oranges.

10. insanespain

Ok I tried to go through the website more. Its not setup very well, looks like they do carry meanwells but It didn't show up bc they are out of stock. Looks like by the time u add heat sinks fans and drivers its not really any different than the rapid kits as far as price.