Switching from MH to Par38 (now rapidled diy)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by DBOSHIBBY, Jun 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Why not just get a ATI Sunpower Dimmable T5?
    It'll take 2 years of bulb replacement to equal a cheaper LED, and in 2 years we'll all have affordable fixtures.

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

well i want led not t5s. and how would the fixture plus 2 years of bulb replacement equal less than led? my total cost for the led will be less than that fixture minus bulbs.

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Okay, I was comparing to an AI or Maxspect. The DIY defiatly be better than those PAR38s

5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

LOVE IT. Can't wait to see you start the build. Something tells me the dimmer knobs are going to be turned WAY down ;D. With that many leds are you going to use optics or not? 80 degree?

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

This is WAAAY cheaper, dimmable with 70* optics for $357.50
    EDIT
    link: http://reefledlights.com/shop/12-led-strip-kit/
    You can choose the type of driver and optics you want, dimmable or not but they are included. You can also email them and specify any heatsink. They get them from HSUSA. You could do 2 of these to replace your 2 halides with dimmable drivers for a little bit more than that mixed kit.
    Here is what these are, you can fit 30 on that heatsink! 5 strips of 6 LEDs.
    http://reefledlights.com/shop/cree-xr-e-led-strip/
    And it comes with:
    5 X 6 Cree Premium XR-E LED Strips Pre-Wired
    No Soldering Required!!!
    Choose Your Optics
    Choose Your Driver
    12″x8.46″ heatsink from HeatsinkUSA included
    Dual Fan Kit included
    Wire Nuts Included
    Everything you need except for hanging kit
    This replaces a 175 watt MH
    PAR Readings:
    http://reefledlights.com/optics-evaluation/

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  7. insanespain

Wheres the link? And what does it mean by choose your driver? Does this mean the drivers are not included? Also that heat sink is supposed to house all 30 leds? LOL, yeah right. And this is a 30 led kit not a 48.

8. Click Here!

9. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

edited above

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I'm wondering again why I would want to pay more? The list I listed also includes moonlight kit and fans. I'm confused on how this is better. I'll take a look tho.

11. insanespain

I'm a bit confused myself. The kit he listed is kind of a joke IMO. It uses some drivers of which nobody has ever heard of. The heat sink is a complete joke, first of all with 70 degree optics on that size of heat sink, you would NEVER get coverage on a 3 foot tank. Not to mention thats alot of leds on that size of a heat sink. Plus its 30 leds compared to the 48 led kit you are planning on. And like you said, no moonlights or fans. I'm not sure why he is scouring the internet trying to look for a better deal when everyone knows that rapidled is where its at. :confused:

12. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

well im looking around again this morning and im wondering if the 4" wide heatsink is going to be alright. im thinking if im using 60 degree optics maybe i should run a 8" or 10" heatsink to spread the leds out a bit since my tanks 18" deep. any thoughts? im i thinking correctly??