Switching from MH to Par38 (now rapidled diy)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by DBOSHIBBY, Jun 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Leeroy Jenkins

Leeroy Jenkins Plankton

You only use DDC-01 PWM Controller if you're using ELN-60-48P drivers. If you use the Meanwell ELN-60-48D drivers then you use their DIY 2 color dimming kit.

The DIY 2 color dimming kit is what I went with and you do only need one, as it dim both the blue and the white LEDs from multiple controllers, you just connect the dimming signal wires from each of the controllers in parallel to the dimmer.

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Ah HA! You came around! Lol. Glad to see your choice. This is perfect, I just posted ystrday debating on 24 or 36 leds for my 65. Get the meanwells with the "p" designation to use with the pwm controller. Anxious to see how the 24 kit works out for you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Ya I figure the DIY will give me more bang for my buck lol
    Well I'm not sure if I even need the controller cuz I have my rkl. I guess I could just get 2 of the dimmer kits.

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Oh and do the heatsinks need to be drilled and tapped?

6. insanespain

No. The kit comes with thermal adhesive to glue the leds on the heat sink so u do not need the drilled and tapped ones. Idk much about the RKL but you won't need the pwm controller, it should be able to do the dimming for you, I just can't speak on which drivers u will need.

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

well i dont think the rkl will do the dimming but it will do the damn dusk lighting schedule for me. ok well not having them drilled makes the costs go down a bit. Sweet!
    Mike from rapid said the 36 led kit would work good, but eh i think ill go big or go home right!

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Yeah, I figured the rkl could do the dimming. Anyways, so ur going with the 36 kit then? I'm interested to see how bright that is!

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

This will be my list.

1- 48 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers
    2- Y-shaped Hanging Kit
    2- 4.25" x 16" Aluminum Heat Sink
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#555555][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#555555]1- 4 LED Moonlight Kit
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#555555][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#555555][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#555555]1- DIY 2 color dimming kit
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#555555][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#555555][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#555555]1- 80mm Vantec Stealth Fan Kit

586.00 Shipped

Cant beat it!
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

RKL lighting control is just a glorified timer. You won't have the dimming dawn/dusk effect like an AI, it will just turn on blues, then whites, then turn off blues, then turn them back on, then turn off whites, then turn off blues.

12. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

True, but the leds will be doing the same thing as my current MH and T5 is doing. i will still be able to tweak the output of the leds with the dimmer kit. sure it wont graduaully change sunrise/sunset but its also half the price.