Switch back to Mh or are my LED's just not set right?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jonathan9573, May 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonathan9573

jonathan9573 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So about 5 months ago I finished and installed my DIY led fixture. MakersLed heat sink and Rapid Led's with mean well drivers controlled by an apex. Before switching to led I had a dual 150 watt Mh with actinic PC supplement and moonlight LEDs. Everything was growing awesome and was really happy with the MH but when I switched to the LEDs my tank has just kind of went stale. I have tried adjusting lighting but nothing I do really seems to really get that sweet spot. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Bump for those using LED, which Rapid LED's specifically.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Switch back to halide. I'm biased though. I love my 20k radium halides and could never switch, growth is too good. It would be nice to not run a chiller but there's always give and take in this hobby. Hope you get your tank sorted out.

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've been down both roads. I prefer all the advantages of LED energy-wise and the "glow" that is tough to achieve with any other lighting, but I switched back to MH 2 years ago, and haven't looked back. 20K Radium's is where it is at!

Corailline likes this.
  6. jonathan9573

I'm using XT-e and XP-g

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Radiums for the win! Lol

8. Click Here!

9. jonathan9573

Ok, this isnt a thread on what metal halides are the best or what LEDs are the best. I would just like some input on what, if anything i might have wrong.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

A list of specs on the LED unit might be helpful...

11. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

What colors are you using? How many? Optics? And any other information you can give about your leds would help.

12. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Yah in all honesty it comes down to "knowing" what your doing with LEDS and tuning them to your system. Any idiot can push an on button or plug in a cord and then give an opinion. It comes down to testing different routes. Answer the post above and we can all try and point you in the right direction.

Me too struggled with LEDS for the first little bit... but now with it all dialed in to my system my growth and colors are more than I ever expected. +1 to Radions.