SWC Xtreme LED lights

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by billyboy2, Apr 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

What are you talking about. No one knocks cree. They are some of the best LEDs being made. Most of the best led lights all use Cree

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Not everyone knocks Cree. There is a small minority that does. It's really just marketing. If you use Cree in your fixture, you let everyone know. If you don't use Cree, you don't advertise who makes trhe diode. Until other LEDs surpass the output and efficiencies of the Cree, Aquarium LED manufacturers not using Cree diodes will have to use other angles to market their products. As Run DMC would say, "It's like that, and that's the way it is. Huh!"

4. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

lol... oh ok.. well when i first posted that i picked up a SWC cree LED fixture i didn't get the impression that it was a good buy, rather it was a cheap knock off of a better product.

My biggest complaint about the fixtures would be related to the controllers. They generate a lot of heat...should have had some type of cooling fan installed inline . Also the adjustment of each blue and white seems to be kinda funky...when its off its off but turn a knob to turn the lights on it clicks on. then you can turn the knob about one full turn before it actually increases the brightness. By now you have turned the knob more than half way to the max and are just seeing change now. I wish the adjusting knobs could be more sensitive or the lights could be controlled to higher and lower levels...just doesn't have the range you would expect from a dim-able light.

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

billyboy2,
    Are you pleased with the output and the spread? Most of all, are your corals pleased.

6. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

i am pleased with the looks, more concerned in the long term health, if i will see slow death of my coral. i am considering buying the 60 deg angled bulbs and mixing them in with the 30 deg ones that come with it, should make a better displacement of that concentrated light. I do have a chalice or favid (not sure which it is) that is dying pretty rapidly, iv'e tried low light, high light, med light, by placing at different levels but its going quick and i dont know what to do with it

Attached Files: