SWC Xtreme LED lights

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by billyboy2, Apr 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I agree almost 100% but I would even go as far to say that "no" LED manufacturer builds any diode for our industry.

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Sorry but I'm not really following you on the 6500K criticism. If you simply add more blue to 6500K you can achieve 10000K, 14000K, 20000K, ..........

When combining light sources all that is important to us is the end result. By mixing light sources/spectrums we can get exactly what we want!

4. msr224

msr224 Plankton

It just doesn't make any sense to have all those LEDs and have to turn the white ones down and blue ones up to get an acceptable color. I mean some people are running their whites at less that 30%. What's the point in having them in the first place. People are spending a ton of money on these systems and not getting a good white color that they can use.

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Are you sure you are talking about the sol blue (2 blue to one white)? It sounds like you are talking of the sol white (2 white to 1 blue). The sol blues technical stats were never updated on their website. I just could not see anyone turning down the whites to 30% as these things are as blue if not bluer than a Radium.

6. msr224

msr224 Plankton

Yeah unfortunately....SOL blues....

I guess i am just lost on the whole thing. I didn't know you could add up the colors to make a 14000k light.....

I thought there would be a difference between a 14000k and a 6500k accented with a bunch of blue...

7. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

this is def an interesting thread :p hmm plasma lighting?? that's an interesting idea, it will def be interesting to c how much tech will be improved 5 years from now :D

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Wow, I have a couple Sol Blues and I just don't see it. When I fired it up it was bluer than my 250 watt Radium 20K. I know they went with the 6500K to be able to show off the colors as it has a broad spectrum. I have heard of people bleaching their corals with the Sol Blues. This comes due to the tremendous amount of blue energy produced by the 455nm and 470 nm leds.

To me the simple answer to bleaching corals from light is to reduce the photo period. Veteran reefers I know don't seem to be so opposed to this but less experienced seem to shun this practice. We saw this same type of thing go on when people switched from MH to T5 years ago. We saw that T5 had less PAR and felt that they needed to run them longer than MH. What many found was that because the light waas coming from all angles, areas of the coral that never saw light were being bombarded and we saw many people loose corals. This type of bleaching happens slowly (no overnight) so it is correctable but many who are not in tune with their corals will have issues.

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Also remember that 14,000K is just a marketing tactic to describe light. Most manufactures when describing a bluer light will just pull a number out of their behind and market the bulb that way. On a spectrometer, most lights described as 14,000K will test out at 30,000K+.

11. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I found a spec chart for the Cree LED aquarium lights being put out by SWC..

It says:

The 60W cree fixture uses 10 -3watt 6000-9000K White and 10-3watt 455nm royal blue.

Also has a PAR graph that reads at 10cm distance from the fixture you have a par of 860 and a LUX value of 73216. at 50cm the par is 350 and 100cm par is 120.

it also says the blue are 450-460nm pure spectrums

any thoughts on the info??

12. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

And why does everyone dislike the CREE LED ?? i cant seem to find a reason everyone knocks the CREE name...just curious why as i seem to be stuck with these fixtures for awhile....

could these fixtures be improved in some way??