SW 110G Tank Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by CountryBoy72, Jan 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. 99taws6

99taws6 Plankton

Not sure if You considered it or not, but I would not put the crushed coral into my tank. Many articles and posts about not using it and now is the time to scrap it.

Nice looking setup, can't wait to see it completed.

4. 99taws6

99taws6 Plankton

Sorry didn't read the whole post :-(

Tank and stand looks great.

You'll need about 10x an hour turn over on your return pump. Any more and you'll lose the effect of the sump for cleaning the water.

With a heater, bigger is better as it won't run as long and temps won't fluctuate. I have 2 200w heaters on my 75 (105 gallon total) tank.

Also after reading your post I would highly recommend LEDs for future growth but a good T5 setup is perfect too. I've had various setups in the past and have LEDs now and love them. T5's are my second choice.

Also not to say you wouldn't think of it, but maybe you could alter your stand now to allow you to remove your sump when tank is set up. It will allow for future modifications without tearing everything apart. I wish I would have done that with mine. I ended up cutting my stand to insert a larger sump.

Good luck with your build. It is looking good.

5. CountryBoy72

Thanks. The sump that is going under there is the biggest one that I could find an so hopefully won't need to be changed or taken out. Should it need to come out though for some unforeseen reason, the panels of plywood on the end just need to be unscrewed an out comes the sump.8)

6. CountryBoy72

100#'s of marco rock arrived today. 1st try at aquascaping. Just need to get some epoxy so the stack is really solid, won't fall over. Tried to gets some ledges and caves, stay away form the glass. Looks like this will give me good flow too. Will get some sand an add it next. There's alot more ledges than I was able to show with the camera.

7. CountryBoy72

8. Click Here!

9. CountryBoy72

The tank is all plumbed and the new sump is setup. Filled the tank with water. Put in two heaters an a powerhead. Added the salt, will adjust it accordingly. Will get some LR to seed the dry rock once the salinity is stable. I will add two raw shrimp to get the whole cycling process started.

10. CountryBoy72

Temp- 79.9
    PH 7.5
    Ammonia .6
    Salinity 1.024(little bit below)

Going to get some LR(45lbs) an put it in the tank/sump. Added 75 lbs of reef sand too. Anything else I need to do ?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  11. CountryBoy72

Will I have a big ammonia spike ? How often should I test for the Ammonia ? Once the ammonia goes to zero, then the nitrites will start to spike.
    Test results from this morning.
    Salinity 1.023
    Temp 81
    Ammonia .6
    Nitrite .0

12. CountryBoy72