SW 110G Tank Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by CountryBoy72, Jan 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Astrea Snail

I gave up on finding a suitable tank stand, headed off to home depot. Two trips later, this is what I have done :) .
    This is the front
    [​IMG]
    The end an top, the top is not screwed down yet.
    [​IMG]
    The back, not sure if I will completely close it in or not yet
    [​IMG]

Just need to stain it, make or find two suitable doors for the front. I made it out of 2x6's and 3/4" plywood.
    It's 54" L x 24" W x 36" H

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

I bought a complete set up from some one when i first got my tank. there are pros and cons to this, when getting an established system, you dont have to wait a few months to do anything to it, which is great if your not a patient person, and 9 out of ten times, the new guy in the hobby isnt really willing to wait, so you wont go threw those stuggles. youll get healthy fish (hopefully) and so they will be alright.

the down side is that you dont get to watch your tank grow, wont get to pick out each piece of equpiment, and being brand new in the hooby, you kindda have to hope what you just bought is good. cus for all you know that guy could have been a cheap guy and not got the best stuff he could. in this hobby you really get what you pay for.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I like the stand so far. :)

5. CountryBoy72

Hopefully will pick up some stain and do the stand this weekend. I Will be picking up the new tank on Friday. Starting to research all the different components an make a list.Light Hood w/lights, Heaters, Protein Filter, water pump, in-tank circulating pumps, water testing kit, hydrometer, salt, circulating pump, container an heater for mixing outside tank, RODI unit, Sand vacuum, live/dry rock and sand, magnetic glass cleaner. Leaning towards an Aqueon Model 3 sump tank. They also have a t-5 / halide hood @ the lfs. I am sure I am missing some stuff but, will continue to add to it as i go. Someone will inform me of other stuff that I need.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Looks like a good list. I would price the light fixtures online before buying at the LFS. I have seen markups of up towards $200 before on lights.

7. CountryBoy72

The tanks dimensions will be 48"L X 18"W X 30"D. Need a little bit of input on what lights will work best. T5's with halides or just T5's. Tank will be a FOWLR to start and then add some corals in the future. Like some of the 15 easy corals. Also what protein skimmer should I look at. $400-600 dollar range. Want a really good in-sump skimmer for the aqueon model 3 sump tank. Looking to do a Berlin style sump setup with the aqueon. Need to narrow these two down and then see who sells them around me and find a good price.

8. Click Here!

9. CountryBoy72

Which one is the best T5 setup ? Search the two lfs, what brands they carry. These are the choices for a 6 bulb 48" t5 setup; Coralife T5 Aqualight, ATI Sunpower, Current USA Nova Extreme, Sunlight Supply Tek Light Elite.

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I've heard good things about ATI. I use an Odyssea myself.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Have you read up on led's? just a thought! No having to change bulbs every 6-12 months so $180-200 a time, led's last 5-10 years! alot less electricity use! lower heat output! plus the real cool thing is you can individually control the different colors so you can adjust the look of your tank! add a controller and you can control sunrise, sunsets, thunderstorms, lighting, different weather conditions etc! With your budget, may be worth some reading up on!;)

12. CountryBoy72

The LED's are quite pricey but, will consider all options. Is there a single LED unit that would do it all, or would I have to buy multiple units ? One 48" T5 does the whole tank, can a single led unit do the same ? Suggestions on LED's that i should look at ?