Sustainability of Corals Under LED's

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by JustIncredible, May 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

This thread could have been useful if the OP had used a search function and found the other 10,000 threads discussing this topic.

Final answer: LEDs CAN and DO grow SPS, and MANY have sustained for well over 2 years! To the OP, Google is your friend's friend. :p

2. Click Here!

3. JustIncredible

JustIncredible Astrea Snail

Yeah, this has gotten a little off topic :-/. Basically I am pro-led, I have a small 14g nano tank and am running nothing but led's over it and my corals seem to be doing well. My tank is mostly high end zoas/palys.

How this whole thing started was I noticed a nice deal on an ATI T5 fixture that I thought I'd pass along to my local club members to see if someone would like to take advantage of it but when one guy mentioned something about SPS not being able to grow well under T5 lighting this other guy chimed in very pro T5 saying he's going back to all T5 lighting after having a MH/T5 combo light for years and than he started ragging on LED's saying the technology just isn't there yet for corals and especially sps to thrive for years under LED only lighting and that while he thinks LED is the future of aquarium lighting that it's just not there yet and the tried and true T5's are still the best lighting option for growing/sustaining corals. I was really looking for people with mature tanks of at least a couple of years who strictly ran LED's to post some photos so I could show this guy that LED's can and do support corals now!

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Nope.
    Just people saying that light is light, leds grow anything and look somewhere else for proof.

5. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I'm happy with bulbs, tried and proven and you just stick them on and replace bulbs. Works perfectly. T5 ftw

6. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

I have some sps, lps and softies in a DIY cree upgrade and everything grows great. everything has great growth, zero complaints.
    That and the shimmer on the tank is much more pleasant than any MH/T5 fixture i have used.

7. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Okay, lets try to get back on track. I posted this some time ago. The ugly purple/black part of the coral was grown under LED (AI Sol then Vega) while the blue part was a few weeks of growth under t5 bulbs.

LED's can and do grow corals and sometimes very well. They do not do so as consistently as the older lighting forms and there seems to be some evidence of less stability for some folks. Until the reasons for the failures is well understood, pointing out that not everyone has failed with them and leaving it at that is just another way of calling the rest of us stupid.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/t5-aquarium-lighting/anyone-care-guess-145732.html

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I re-read the OP.

While my DT is been up for just over 2 years, my LED's are over 1 year, but not 2 years, sorry.
    But all my corals- now 57different species in all including softs, lps, and sps are all growing equally well. Especially now that I"m trying to keep up with the Mg,Ca, Alk demands they are placing on my system.

I've added a few pics, some are 5 months old and are even bigger now, some are newer.
    The FTS is only a few weeks old.

The only lights I currently use, are the basement model TaoTronics 120W x 2.
    Each has 30White and 25blue. Only 2 colors, no dimmers, etc.
    Eventualy, I'll be adding some lower priced brands such a the RB with a few more colors and dimmers.

These pics are my evidence you were asking for in the OP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

BTW, Basically, all these corals started with a small, tiny frag.

10. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Todd you have one amazing tank there...great pics..

11. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well thanks!

Actually jkat, I checked out your thread, I think that your tank looks amazing too!!