Sustainability of Corals Under LED's

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by JustIncredible, May 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JustIncredible

JustIncredible Astrea Snail

Okay, I have this guy on my local club page who is saying that he is doubting the long-term sustainability of corals...especially SPS...under LED only lighting. He's saying that he's read studies which are saying that while corals initially do well under LED's that long term (2 years or more) they don't do as well as under T5's. I say that I've seen tanks with SPS under LED only lighting and they look amazing but he's saying show me a tank like that of krystof tyrcsof at 2+ years of LED only lighting and he'll admit it can be successfully done so now is your chance...show me some of your 2+ year old tanks (especially SPS) that have been kept under LED only lighting so I can have some proof to show him that LED's do work well long term!!!

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Sigh... this again?

This once started as a frag to me about 3 years ago. I hack hunks off the colony from time-to-time now, and maintain it somewhere in the neighborhood of 14" across.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Yeah man, just do a search here or google even and im sure u will find more than enough examples of leds doing well for any type of coral.

5. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I would rather see a post proving why LED's WOULDN'T be sufficient. I currently just finished my cycle and will be adding some coral under LED only. I can't wait to see how they look, my old tank had 2 x 150w MH and 2 dual actinic 420/460 bulbs. Of course those lights were great but they throw so much heat. I think LED's are the way to go and I can't wait to have my nano established to a point where I can be proof.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I read on the internet that LEDs cannot grow coral. ::)

7. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I read on the internet that the end of the world was 12/21/12 ;)

8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I read on the internet people shouldn't read on the internet. :)

10. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Oh well, some people can't adapt to change. The world goes along one w/o them. Love my LEDs, hopefully I have them setup properly.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

12. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

TCC only uses diy LEDs and they have bean up for 3 years, the main colonies look amazing.