Suspected aiptasia (UPDATED 3/1/2011)

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Doratus, Jan 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I also read that they lack pigment because of the fact that they don't usually have a relationship zooxanthellae algae. Hence the aiptasia-like appearance.

2. Click Here!

3. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

yes, some lack zooxanthellae and some are a bright orange color, especially the ones in the Bahamas. Regardless of color they take most of their nutrients via feeding. They are capable of reaching far out for food from their base. It should be fine with the parazoa's because I believe they feed from the water column too.

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

If it was an aiptasia, the tentacles should be much longer based on the length of the body or tubular part. I'd say let it grow more to be sure. When you kill the lights, does it close up like the other yellow polyps near it?

5. Doratus

Yes! Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been able to observe the suspect until today. It does indeed "close" the coral around it. I thought the creature had moved to a new position on the rock, which gave me pause, but after a few days I conclude that it hasn't moved at all and it was just my mind playing tricks on me. I think the final verdict is that it is indeed coral and not an anemone.

Thanks again to all!

6. Doratus

While looking at the tank I happened to notice this same hitch hiker starting to detach itself from where it was positioned. As this was happening the coral around it was apparently affected because the polyps "sucked in". I was able to catch this thing and place in a small glass cup on a piece of bare live rock, which it has obviously attached to when looking at the pic. I didn't notice any kind of discharge from it when it moved, though I suppose if it sent out a thousand baby pest anemones into my water column they would be microscopic anyway..

So, does the fact that this thing moved mean that it is an anemone and not coral? If it is an anemone does that automatically make it aiptasia? What are the chances of this being a good anemone if it isn't aiptasia? Down at the chain pet store they have tanks full of aiptasia and this doesn't look anything like those at all.

Thanks again, here is the pic...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Doratus

Bump.

I'd like to know if I need to take this out of my tank. I'd prefer not to remove it if it isn't necessary.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I doubt it is aiptasia as aiptasia is generally clear. It doesn't look like a majano either. I would say it is OK to keep it in your tank, just keep track of it.

10. Doratus

Okay thanks 2in10,

Here's another pic that might be a little better.
    [​IMG]

Just playing around with the light..
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

It looks like a frilly anemone to me.

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I agree, "not sure what it is, so let's just kill it" what happens if it is something rare, very expensive, not known to grow in aquariums, a new coral or organism, or just the fact you are trying to kill something that may release a toxin and wipe out your tank. Folks it's call researching before acting on it, I suggest that you practice it.

If there was a growth on you hand, you would want to find out what it is and how to treat it, before the doctor cuts your arm off.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk