surgeonfish/tang tank size

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by bvb-etf-luva, May 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i am simply copying these links to attempt to stop the arguements, i know everyone pretty much on this site has in some shape or form been part of a tang tank size arguement on the forum. some people think because the tang is only 3 inches means it will be fine in a 46 gallon for at least a year, or they think because they have a large tank they can pack the tangs in there, also not advised. or they get the tang saying they are going to upgrade once it grows too large.

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Honestly, The ocean is the best size for most fish... Just saying. With tangs there are many contributors to what you can and cant do as for the size of the tank. As well for the general wellbeing.

4. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

I disagree with everything everyone has posted. The minimum size for a tang, any tang, is their respective ocean. Any arguement??

5. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Beat me to it

1 person likes this.
  6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

:) so you don't disagree with me :D. +K

7. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

There are no facts in fishkeeping, every fish is different and everyones tank and experience level is different. There is no set of rules that everyone must follow. You just said that no tang should be kept in a 75g or less, correct? Well I have seen countless cases where people have kept smaller species of tangs in less then a 75g that were in perfect health. I agree that stuffing a Naso tang in a 40g is wrong, but you cant say that what you posted was inarguable fact. I personally have a Kole tang in my 60g that is in perfect health and has never had any problems.

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i agree as well, yet many people tend to keep tangs in a 30 gallon tank? i understand it is still unnatural for a tang to be in a 500 gallon tank but its better than a 46 gallon tank.

10. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

• As for this comment, Most people who end up loosing an achilles are people who didn't research thoroughly enough to know signs and issues with the fish. Once acclimated are quite resilient.

11. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Oh wow, those tangs, yes, they get large- even in the normal aquarium- powder tangs dont, and they are - well, one will never see my tank- to many problems with powder tangs- most come from Fla. waters- they should post a sign on themselves- "prone to ick".

But I see no mention of the typical yellow, purple, or hippo tangs, which are by leaps and bounds the most popular tangs in the aquarium hobbie, and for good reason.

Size, health, and attitude.

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I think you chose well Brennan
    I think you did your research, and selected a Tang that you felt was suitable for the tank size you have

Steve