Surface Skimmers vs Protein Skimmers?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ZC42, Dec 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I would say don't waste your money. Trying to get both a refugium and a skimmer in one unit, looks like you're sacrificing on the skimmer. For now, get a good skimmer and skip on the fuge until you're ready to set up an actual sump system.

2. Click Here!

3. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thanks but don't you have to drill that in? Or are there pipes connecting it to the display? There's so much stuff to get...at least compared to freshwater lol

4. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

A drilled tank is nice, but HOB overflows work good too. Yes, if you're going to set up a sump, there will be a few things to buy, but it all depends on your budget. You'll need a sump, overflow box, plumbing, return pump, and of course the skimmer. You can use a cheap plastic storage container for the sump like a Rubbermaid, etc. Just measure how much room you have under the tank and go from there. Rio pumps are inexpensive and work great. I'd say you could get something up and running for a little under $200 (including the SC skimmer). If that's out of your range, I'd just go with the HOB skimmer for now.
    Look here for some great DIY ideas: Melevsreef.com - Welcome!

5. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone