Supplimental snail food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Wendy, Feb 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

Is there such a thing as supplemental snail food? Mine were just all laying on the bottom of the tank, getting nailed by the crabs.
    I didn't really know what to do, so I put them in a glass container with nori and shrimp. any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Since I started my tank, I haven't come across any snails that will take supplemental feeding. Snails are hardcore algae eaters and some will even eat hermit doody. I am 100% positive those little guys will not eat the shrimp. Maybe they will though, humm...

4. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

Thanks, I'll take the shrimp out. I just don't have enough algae in the tank for them. (how often do you hear that?)
    I guess tomorrow I'll have to go to the river and swipe some stuff...
    They aren't touching the nori. :(

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Yeah, it's very common for a young tank to lose it's food to snails and hermits. How long has it been running for? God, I am in the middle of a hair algae bloom and they do come in handy, but you should resort to keeping a fair amount your tank can support, then, you can add more and the tank matures with age.

6. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

The tank has been running since mid October. Been putting Kalk in the tank, and hoping DT's would help, too, but uh-I guess not.

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Your looking for a surface diatom really, something you won't get in any of the things you've mentioned above. From the sound of it, I'd check your ALK levels.

8. Click Here!

9. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

Did a water change, and a few are starting to zip along the glass. Turned out that my nitrates were up a little.

10. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

Well just my little experience....I put some Nori on a clip for my clowns....they didnt touch it, but two seconds later, I came back and my largest Turbo snail was all over that stuff....