supplementation for softies only tank

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by nanomania, Jun 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

What kind of salt are you using? I know u said some salt locally but what is it? Does it have adequate calcium and mg n all that jazz?

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

what about feeding? iv never fed my corals still they grew..

4. nanomania

all it says that the it has calcium and alk. nothing else is written.. i have an unused bottle of purpleup which has everything like mag, iodine, stront, trace, etc...

5. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Really? If I was you I'd get a different salt. If they say it's in their but don't show numbers backing their claim it's probably not good. N don't dose that crap dude, no need for just zoas n softies, proper salt with routine wc will be fine. Specially if u aren't testing for those things your asking for trouble.

6. nanomania

what about feeding?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If your lighting is good you do not need to feed most soft hermatypic corals.
    LPS do benefit from supplemental target feedings when feeding tentacles are out. Most minced meaty sea foods and quality pellets work fine.
    Ahermatypic/NPS do need extensive on going feedings as they do not the dinoflagellates/zooxanthellea that provide nutrition from photosynthesis.

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

has anyone used AQUAPHARM Seaplankton? whats the best for supplemental feeding for softies? im planning to buy cyclopeese flakes for fishes.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You will not need to target-feed soft corals. While they do benefit from small amounts of dissolved organics, feeding fish in the same tank will provide more than enough.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

for feeding, might be easier to say if we know what type you have. Like coraline said, certain ones do need feedings. Also what type of food do you feed? Common to say leathers do not need to be fed, but that is not fully true. Nephtia needs phyto. Yellow polyps do best with feedings of small meaty food occasionally

You mentioned cyclop flakes. I am not familar wtiht the flakes, I use the frozen bar or now they have come out with small frozen cubes of it that i like. I would think it would be smaller particles than the flakes and easier for some of the smaller polys to get

12. nanomania

you do get powdered cyclop too. but im afraid that the uneated will be on the ground and my cause a nitrate spike. what about reef snow or any bottled branded phytho? and what about zooplank.?