Superman and lighting

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by GuitarMan89, Feb 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have a superman montipora frag. I currently have it under 216 watts of T5 and it is only 4" below the surface. It is a light purple in color and not really blue. It's only blue under the actinic lights. I know montis can handle a lot of light, but I was wondering if this is too much light and if that is the reason it's not coloring up enough? Or is that the lighting is not enough for it to color up? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

there are various types of superman montis out there, and different colors. True supermans are more blue and other supermans tend to be more purple. I have mine under MH and T5 and it is blue, however it is a true superman

How long did you have it? I had a pokerstar that I got from somebody who had it under T5 and it was completely brown when I got it....but good polyps. I placed it under my lights and within 3 weeks it has turned a nice purple and blue color.

I have heard that supermans require a lot of light, but that close I think it would be ok. Maybe it is not a True superman

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I bought it as a true superman, it's not daenae but tuberculosa. I've had it for about a month, it really hasn't changed color since I got it.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What spectrum combo do you have bulb wise? Spectrum plays a huge part in coloring up corals

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I am running 2 UVL super actinics and 2 white actinics. I am going to get some new bulbs soon though as these are about 9 months old.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Go with UVL's again, and get 2 420nm's for your actinics and 2 14000K with your daytimes. It will give you awesome coloring.

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

You bought your piece at vividaquariums.com? They claim to sell a maricultured piece and a true superman piece. Did you get the True Superman piece? I am curious because I was thinking of purchasing from them. Those pics on their website are not WYSIWYG. Did they email you a pic of the piece they were sending you?
    Adam

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I did get it from them and ordered the true superman. I did not ask for a picture of the actual piece, that is a good idea.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I was actually thinking of that, but I would like to increase my over all par value. The 75/25s only have a PAR of about 250. I was searching online for pictures of tanks with various bulb set ups and was considering 2 ATI Aquablue (12,000K) and 2 ATI Blue Plus. The PAR values of those are significantly higher than UVL bulbs.

12. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

very informative, awesome thread~!~