super glue

Discussion in 'Frags' started by joey519, Mar 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

Noob question: I would have thought that super glue (gel or otherwise) would only work on two completely dry surfaces.

It works on wet things?

I keep on reading about people using super glue gel, and I always wonder about this.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

a handful of us find it impossible. It holds the coral fine, but won't stay attached to the LR. I have some success with it. But not much. I use epoxy now.

4. joey519

joey519 Astrea Snail

got a small bottle of loctite super glue in gel form today at lowe's. rubble was still a little damp but the frags of gsp did stick very well (so it seems). i'll check again tommorow. how long before polyps come out again?

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I really need to clarify - of my limited success with gel super glue, GSP is amongst the successes. Sorry.

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

Exactly! you guys have to understand that in low tides, every SPS will create a natural sunscreen to protect themselves. I'm not sure if you can kill them leaving them out for 30 minutes or longer. and if you are really that worried about them, grab one of those little syringes and squirt a bit of water on them. I did this exact same method to 9 different SPS frags with no casualties.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Stay away from the regular runny type super glue. It makes a big mess sometimes.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

gel,gel,gel

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I've never had a problem. I've glued probably 15-20 different things including monti, greens star polyps, tons of zoas, acan... what kind do you use? I use Locktite gel from Lowe's... maybe the kind you had caused a problem??

They should be out by the next day at the latest, but usually within hours they will start coming back out. I have never worried about trying to dry anything, it is amazing what this stuff will do!!

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

shehan...I think over the past 8 years I tried them all lol. I've used locktite. not sure if that was what I used back then when I lost the zoa's. could have been the 55 gal tank though..lots of nightmare stuff happened in that one. I still like to dip mine. Homegrown and I swapped a few corals a while ago and he sent a dvd of a G.A.R.F. how to frag and they even advise dipping right after the coral is set. I have good luck with it, so I'll stick with it, not to say your way is wrong either!! :)

12. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

I use the gel type of super glue at the dollar store.. Even then i tend to glue my fingers together or well the towel to my finger or shirt or counter and well.... Everything....hahaha

Good luck....