Super Glue???

Discussion in 'Frags' started by djnzlab1, Jun 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I think the glue alot of people use is the gel type super glue. Glad you were able to do it fine.
    I think theres a video on fragging mushrooms.
    Reef Videos

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Anyone ever use Amphibious Solvent Cement, like the kind you would use for pvc pipes? I have two cans of that stuff and wondering it it would work or if it is toxic to the fish...

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

super glue is ok to use but the gel kind is best.the super glue gel will work under water but it hardens super fast under water.i beleave hisshroom was already attached to a shell and he just wanted it on something more stable.what he did was exactly the way i would of done it.i let soft coral frags fall to the bottom of the tank and attach to pebbles,then i glue them where i reelly want them by the pebble their alreaddy attached to.glue gets hot while drying,so get it back in the water right away,or just glue it while its in the water.i've never had much success gluing fresh cut soft coral frags right on a rock.they change size and or slime and fall off.

5. cuttingras

Gorilla Glue?

Well after trying the superglue gel, liquid and one other kind I'm thinking about trying Gorilla Glue. Superglues will stick until I go to pick the rock work up. I know Gorilla Glue will hold ANYTHING! Just a dab will do ya, since it does expand, but I'm worried it may be toxic. Anyone know?

6. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

I wouldn't try gorila glue

HI,
    Never seen it reccomended there's so many things in chemicals, they reason super glue is some what safe it was designed for human use in place of stiches never heard of using any other type of glue.
    Doug
    I would avoid airplane, elmers(duh water soluable), not sure about hot guns seems like it may cook the critters i dripped a drop on my arm and it hurt..
    Hey whats that tooth pick idea you impale poor mr mushy ,:eek: ,

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

+2 on that!! I used the bridal mesh and it worked great.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

I'm glueing my lr together. Engineer goby tips them over too much... It says on the bottle non toxic and I searched on the web and on another sire they said people have been using it for years for frags...It's waterproof too. I'll give it a shot. Can't be much worse than all the crap that has happened recently with my tank. :-/

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

If the [ieces are already attached to something, I use super glue gel, it does not matter what brand. You do not have to dry the rock. I dont, and I have never had a problem doing it. Those of you that know me, know I frag a lot, lol er well I use too.... Regular super glue is t runny, and only makes a mess, but it does work, just no where near as good as the gel. The gel can be used under water. Ive done it, I know it works for a fact. As for bridal veil... Thats good for fragging them. I dont bother with veil though. I use those lil plastic fruit bowls. I wash them out, fill them about half way with crushed coral, put the cut up shroom in it, and place it in a low flow area. In about a week or less they are attached, and ready to be super glued.

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Super glueing rock won't work, too heavy. Only creates a larger mess. Try drilling the rocks and using plastic zip ties to hold them together, or make rock pillars.

12. cuttingras

I've tried the pillar method and as I stated earlier my engineer goby re-engineers them :) No, the superglue won't keep them together. I tried the gel, liquid and one other. I'm letting the gorilla glue cure for 48 hours before a good soaking(maybe 24 hrs, to see if it holds up) of ro/di then into the tank. Wish me luck!