Super Glue Gel to blame?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefnJeff, Jul 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I had taken 2 SPS off their plugs and glued them to small rocks, today I notice the Coral in the pic at the base of the Coral had turned all white. is this normal? will it keep doing this further up the Coral? the 2nd SPS not pictured ain't as bad, but I moved that to a rock about a 6 weeks after the one in the pic, but it also is starting to get white at the base

Attached Files:

• gel.JPG
      gel.JPG
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

I did a check of the other 3 SPS still on plugs and their not getting white at all like that.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Doesn't look like anything to worry about unless the white (skeleton) starts to show up more and more.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The coral maybe reacting to the oils from your skin. You need to make sure if you touch the corals that your hands are wet at all times.

6. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

+1 8)

7. reefnJeff

I always rinse my hands in fresh water before I even put my hands in the tank, also I have these baggy like elbow gloves that I wore when i glued it to the rock. I already have almost killed 1 Coral, I don't need to kill more.

8. Click Here!

9. PawPawBlenny

PawPawBlenny Astrea Snail

I have seen super glue seem to spread on other surfaces before, when a little too much is used, seeing that it seems to have spread on the rock a little also, that could be the problem. I don't know how or if it will affect the coral though.

10. EricSIny

EricSIny Plankton

This looks like the start of RTN to me. how is alk? has it been stable?

If it is RTN you should see it spread more and more fairly quick.

11. reefnJeff

Thats great, you know I have to agree that it looks like it kind of spread on the rock, I never knew that was going to happen. So I guess the only thing I can do now it keep an eye on it and if it gets worst, I may have to consider amputation. I don't recall really using a lot on the one in the pic, the other I used a little more cus I had problems of getting it to stay.

1 person likes this.
  12. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

I have never had super glue cause death. I have had it whiten up around the contact point...but never any damage to the coral health. I have used 3 different kinds of Super glue and have settled with the cheapest.."Gorilla Glue" it works fine...minimal human contact with the body of the coral if possible...ime. : )
    ..I'm more apt to investigate relocation area..light, flow etc.... imo ; )
    ..and as always..give it time to acclimate. good luck.