Super glue for mushrooms

Discussion in 'Frags' started by BrianH123, Jan 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BrianH123

BrianH123 Astrea Snail

Hello,
    I see the common glue (as opposed to puty) for attaching various coral to live rock is a Cyanoacrylate based product which in Canada is about $ 30 for a 2 oz bottle. I have two 'loose' mushrooms that i have been trying to attach to two pieces of small rock with no success. The mushrooms have both picked up small hermit shells and a few pieces of gravel which appear to be base enough to try and attach them to the live rock.

What are the detriments of using plain super glue from Home Depot and do mushrooms usually 'let go' of smaller objects such as shells and gravel?

Any other suggestions to get the two pieces of coral onto the rock are appreciated. Note i have looked at the net approach however where i want them i dont think the net will work.

Its a 29 gal bio cube.

Thanks in advance,

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

You can get the cyanoacrylate super glue at home depot, but I haven't had much success with it.... I think it was about $7 for a bottle that was probably about 2 or 3 oz... I have never had much luck with the two part epoxy either. I just throw a loose rubber band around it for about a week and it will attach itself if that is an option.

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

super glue if in to use. just tank the mushroom out of the water and glue to the rock you want. wait a couple of seconds and then you can just put it back into the tank

5. Perculator

Perculator Feather Duster

+1 for suckafishtankcleaning ^^^

6. BrianH123

BrianH123 Astrea Snail

Thanks,

How about the loose gravel they are currently holding, have you had success in using this as a base?

7. suckafish

well it should work. however i have had corals in the past just let go what they were glued onto, then i have had other corals that work well. So i cant tell if it will or will not work a 100%. i would try not to glue the rubble with mushroom, but if you do it should be a problem

8. Click Here!

9. juanhunglo69

juanhunglo69 Plankton

Dollar store super glue works on most everything but that mushroom, slimy leathers, and such. Well.... just don't trust it if you do. Glue it down but put it in a small jar or something that won't let it float away. I have had better success just putting small gravel in a mason jar and then dropping the shrooms in it, and then set it in your display. Wait a week to 10 days and ta-da! The shroom is now stuck on a rock that you can now dollar store super glue anywhere you want. I have even used a colander with netting over the top and the jar is the way to go.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have used Bridal net to hold softies until they attach.

11. suckafish

that probly works much better for softies then super glue.

12. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

super glue gel... real real real easy