Super Excited: Pocilopora reproduced in my tank, now what?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Va Reef, Jul 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I bought a decent sized colony of Dark green polyp and neon green branch poci, about a 5" ball, and a couple of days ago, I noticed a few sporadic polyps of it on some LR, now I've counted 11 different polyp sites and some of them already have 4 polyps.

I figured its sexual reproduction. How often does this happen?

Also it has killed two different species of monti's due to stinging, I'm worried about my two very beautiful gorgonia. Is there anyway to stop more polyps from popping up? pics tomorrow when lights come back on!

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Get something that eats sps?? Chemicals (peroxide)???

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am inclined to think this is polyp bailout which is common to Pocillopora, especially during periods of stress.

Pocillopora spawn and they also reproduce by polyp bailout. Unlike LPS that experience polyp bailout where the polyps eventually wither away Pocillopora bailouts commonly survive and even become somewhat invasive.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

ooooooooh, well it was getting stung by some paly's for a day so that probably induced it. oh well still free coral.

1 person likes this.