Super Bad Bubble Algae outbreak

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bpitts4, Jun 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bpitts4

bpitts4 Astrea Snail

I went on vacation for 9 days and had a neighbor feeding my fish a predetermined amount of food each day. Upon my return, the entire tank is fulled with green bubble algae all over the glass, sand and growing vertically off of the rocks. What is the best way to get rid of this stuff. I plan on doing a manual scrub down of the rocks and tank and syphon the sand and doing a 50% water change. Any advice would be helpful....my poor fish:confused:.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

What size is your tank and what are your parameters? If you dont have corals i would do a complete blackout. Scrubbing the rocks in old tank water would be good and rinse in clean salt water(for bacteria purposes), or fresh ro/di water. Or get a couple true green emerald crabs to aid you. I suggest when the algae goes away try and catch them and put them in the fuge. If you have corals i would do a 3 day blackout depending on the type of corals you have. But thats my opinion.

I'm strong to the finish cause I eats me spinach. I'm ReefBruh the reefing man. Toot Toot.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Take a 3 pronged attack
    Yellow Tang/Foxface
    Manual Removal
    Refugium
    The third one saved me from my HUGE outbreak. Don't pop the bubbles when you pull them, apperantly thats how they spread.
    Good Luck!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Emerald crab, always worked well for me.

Also just manually remove as much as you can by hand. Turn off all the flow, give them time to settle out to the bottom and siphon out.

Cut back on any nutrients you are adding, because bubble algae needs that first and foremost to grow and spread.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Can you take a picture of this algae. From what you are describing it could be something different from the bubble algae we are used to seeing. I don't think I have ever seen true bubble algae attached to the glass but its possible.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

It could be attached to coralline on the glass, mine did that.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

hmm... agree we get a pic. Bubble algae dosn't typically spread that fast and does not generally grow that way, but there are a number of species of bubble algae. It almost sounds more like grape caulerpa though.

10. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

11. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

this works well and though it seems tedious it dont take that long i used a ball point pen carcus (just the outside of a old bic) and some tubeing dont forget to shut the pumps off

that guy realy has alot of great vidios

12. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

for sure i subcrided to his email so that i know when all of his new videos come out im addicted lmao