Sunset Monti

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Atticus818, Oct 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Have a new piece of sunset monti that is pretty low in the tank, bottom 1/3 of it. It looks like it is starting to bleach, full PE all colored, but the base is turning whiteish. Move it down, up? Less flow? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I'd keep an eye on it for the time being. Bleaching is from too much light, but if it's just a little bleached and isn't getting worse, it'll eventually adjust and color back up.

Most people blast that one with light, so I'm surprised it's bleaching down low. Hence why I'd let it be unless it's progressing, then move it down.

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Was it fully colored when you bought it? What sort of light was it getting before you got it? How's your flow? CA/ALK?

^^ bleaching isn't just from lack of light^^

Coral bleaching is a generalized stress response of corals and can be caused by a number of biotic and abiotic factors, including:

increased (most commonly), or reduced water temperatures
    increased solar irradiance (photosynthetically active radiation and ultraviolet band light)
    changes in water chemistry (in particular acidification)
    increased sedimentation
    bacterial infections
    changes in salinity
    low tide and exposure (exposure to air)

5. Atticus818

Honestly I dont know what it was under, came from RAP. Those are all just temp set ups.
    Alk is 8.9
    Calc 430
    Flow is from a mp40, it's pretty close to it.
    It was mostly colored a small white patch, that has spread since it got it.
    Under a 6 bulb t5 all ATI bulbs, on a 75g display.

Thx!

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

It could be that's it's *growing* new growth will appear cream in color before it colors up :)

7. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

Same thing happened to mine. I had it up high it turned all white with polyp extensions. I lowered it hoping it will color back up.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I would check closely for MEN's

10. Atticus818

All coral are dipped with CoralRx Pro before coming in, I don't think they can survive that? Even so, I will give it a good look thanks!

Nico; I did the same as you, moved it low. It has almost no color now, just colored PE. Very odd as all the other stuff looks great.

11. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

My sunset monti is very sensitive to changes in lighting and any detritus that sits on it. The lighting just bleached it and it came back quickly. I almost lost it when a powerhead stopped working and detritus built up on it. It sounds like you won't have an issue with detritus. You should be able to tell if the tissue is just white or if it is receding. I would do as others have said and just keep an eye on it.

12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I recently found some nudis on some caps that I got from a fellow reefer. They came out in the Coral Rx dip, but even at 8x the dose, it didn't kill them. Also, the dip will do nothing to the eggs. Look real close, they're sneaky little buggers.