Sunset and Rainbow Monti

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by adam, May 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

For 3 days these 2 frags have looked like this. At first I thought it was the Bi-Coor Blenny so I decided to do another dip with Seachem Reef Dip this morning for 10 mins. I found 2 Asterina Stars by the one. Sunset Monti and a Rainbow Monti. They looked perfect for the first 2 days then the Blenny picked at him when I moved the Rainbow and never recovered and then the Sunset looked great then looked like this and I dont know why. All Params are in check. 1.025, PH is 7.9-8.2, Alk is 10-11, Cal is 400 Temp is 78 No detectable NO3 or PO4.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

What ever happened to your Monti caps that had white spots appearing on them? This could be a case of montipora eating nudibranches. On these small frags, it could happen very quickly, they will eat all of the flesh leaving just the skeleton. Judging from the picture, that is all that is left. That really sucks, they looked so nice.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

They are starting to already look better than they have in 3 days. I guess the Reef Dip worked. Maybe an infection from the Blenny or from the Asterina Stars? The base color has not come back but the polyps are stating to come out. I did not see any nudis when I checked last night. Would the polyps start coming out again if I had nudis? The orange cap is looking better. Did I mention that I put the Blenny in a in-tank refugium but he escaped the other night and landed on the hardwood floor I threw him back in and then escaped thru a hole in the refugium

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I really feel you have the nudi's myself as for the info you got on the asterina stars I don't buy that the stars get a bad rap for nothing I feel , I have myself never seen any of them to ever harm a coral , I have seen them on the corals just before it came apparent that the coral was sick and or dieing off , I have never seen these starts to attack or harm a single thing and I have had them by the thousands . Little retarded looking arms and tan to cream in coloration with that one large appendage up front .

Do you have any other sps corals in this system ? if so what types and how are they doing in general ?

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: @ Melvin. I didn't read the entire site, only linked it because it has good pictures.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have seen all of them I ever wanted to see :)

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You and me both darlin.