SunBrite Slim Line LED Unboxed

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mister_meeh

mister_meeh Plankton

Ya I read that already. Just wondering if Sunbrite actually released them to the public already cause it's hard to find any information on it, even on their own site.

2. Click Here!

3. teeb

teeb Astrea Snail

Matt, since you're one of the few people that have had your hands on these, I have a couple of questions for you. I have a 40B that I was planning on using 2 of these on? Based on what you've seen, would 2 of the standard Slimline with the 80 degree optics be enough to cover the tank well? Also, do you know if anyone has these available yet? Sorry for the all the questions, there's just not much info out there on these.

4. Playapixie

Playapixie Plankton

Can you please tell me how wide is the mounting bracket? I have a Solana 34 with the wood trim on the top (which I love), and I already ordered this light, but now taking a closer look, I'm worried it might not be wide enough to get all the way around the trim (which is just shy of 1.5 inches).

Thanks!
    Dawn

5. teeb

teeb Astrea Snail

Were you able to find one of the newer ones with the timer and 80 degree optics? I'm looking for 2, but haven't been able to find any.

6. Playapixie

Playapixie Plankton

I just picked up one of the new Slimline S today for my Solana 34 (20X20X20 cube). I ordered it last week.

While I think the lights & colors look great, I have a few issues:

I haven't been able to figure out a way to mount it using the bracket. When I mount it on the back glass, the back row of LED's is half over the rear sump compartment, and the lights only reach about halfway forward in the tank. I toyed with mounting it on the plastic wall between the rear sump and the tank itself, but then the aluminum (I think) bracket is partially in the water, and I can't see how that is ok, given that aluminum will oxidize in salt water and submerging metal with electrical circuits just seems like a bad idea. Plus, mounting on the sump wall means the bracket shows in the tank, which is kind of a bummer. Am I missing something? I read that the bracket was being shortened, but this bracket is a couple of inches long and sticks well into the water if mount it on the wall between the back sump and tank.

On the other hand, at the moment I have it just sitting on the glass top on some rubber feet, and I think that looks slick and might work just fine. It also lowers the light by about 3", which may be good for light penetration. There is a bit of light fall-off on the edge at this height, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing, as it leaves more places for corals that don't like so much light, and the fall-off isn't very noticeable visually. Thinking maybe slightly taller legs might be the answer.

Also, the light doesn't really come with directions. All it says is button A: timer setting, B: test mod, C: white LED cycle, D: Blue LED cycle.

So aside from the initial post here, I have no idea what "timer setting" means or what the timer cycle is. I'm also unclear if the timer will cycle up to the color that I previously picked, or if it will ramp all the way up to full lights. Kind of useless to be able to choose the color if it doesn't go to that setting during the dawn-to-dusk timing, and I'm not sure what actually happens then.

And, if it's in timer mode and you change the lights, what happens on the next light cycle?

If anyone has an idea the answers to any of these questions, I'm super curious! I'm going to write Sunbrite and see if I can get more clear answers.

Anyhow, The verdict is still out for me.

~Dawn

7. mulder32

mulder32 Purple Spiny Lobster

These have great potential but I have a tank that is 24 inches deep. 80 degree optics are not going to cut it with a 36x18x24 tank will it? Even if I have two of them?