Sun polyps still wont open!

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by rickzter, Dec 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Nope. I've tried zooplankton, and squid. Squid seemed to have peeked their interest a tad. I will try Mysis today and see how they react.

2. Click Here!

3. gawlowski

gawlowski Astrea Snail

I use the juice from the brine shrimp, that I feed my fish with. I defrost a cube in a specimen cup. Then take a turkey baster or a seasquirt and gently spray the heads with the juice. I always do it with the light out. The heads will start to open, then give them some brine shrimp. Good luck.

4. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

At first I cut the top half of water bottle and placed it over it and and thru the opening shot some brine juice in and let them "wake up" then inject the brine shrimp in then in the morn just pull off the top and let the fish eat whatevers left.

5. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

My suns took 2 weeks before they open to eat. I feed my fish first, them within 15 minutes they are fully open, then I feed them. Add garlic to build up their appetite.

6. JONB

JONB Astrea Snail

I had luck with Cyclops. I thaw it out ,add a little tank water and syphon with a turkey baster.blow it directly on polyps and watch the magic.

7. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

Mine took about a week to 10 days to open fully. They had that bulge thing going on for quite a while. I feed cyclopeze routinely but offer some chopped Rod's or mysis occasionally. They are pretty shy at first. Try to create a cave for them. They can pretty well tell when feeding time is now and start to open just before lights out.

8. Click Here!

9. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

i am sorry to hear that it wont open, my black sun opens about 15 min after the actinics go on and is open all nite. what i do if its not open is turn off all your flow around them, and then squirt alittle combo of cyclopids and little mysits shrimp. wait a few min and then feed with mostly mysits shrimp and when ever elese in the feeding for the day.

gravit, yes you do need to spot feed them, but i only feed my tank twice a week mabye three time, so that cuts back on daily feeding. fish dont need to eat every day

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

They are a pain to take care of, but this is what I do when I want to force feed. I use baby brine shrimp that I buy from PetSmart.

Cover the coral with the top of a 20oz or 2ltr bottle, open lid, suirt foods in with turkey baster, put cap back on. This keep the food confined to the area and keeps the other critters from stealing it from the coral.

Sun coral does not naturally open during the daylight hours, so if you do this method enough during the day (for about a week straight every day) it will start to open during the day and you can target feed when you find it open.

I still prefer to feed with pop bottle method even while they're already open because it keeps the food at the desired location.

11. orchids&coral

orchids&coral Plankton

Sun coral

Hi, I feed mine the same time each night. They some how know after about 3 days that it's time to eat. I feed mine 3 or 4 different kinds of the frozen cubes all mixed together then refrozen, and just chip off a little and mix with a little tank water,enough to feed both of them with a seasquirt feeder. they love that stuff because it's meaty. they don't stay open alot during the day but quite alot on and off in the evening and a while when the moon lights come on. this worked for me when the last one I got didn't open for about the first 3 days. any varity of the frozen cubes are ok, the more you mix the better. put all the frozen cubes together in a container with a lid, let them thaw, mix together good and refreeze.

12. orchids&coral

orchids&coral Plankton

Oh, I also turn off filter and ph's while feeding and leave them off for about 20 to 30 min. they grab the food as it falls on them.