sun coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by wastemanagement, Nov 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

They are normally considered medium level of care, but that is mostly because it requires direct feeding and a lot of it LOL...They dont require a lot of light..We have them at the bottom of our 72 bowed with 8 54w T5s and they are flourishing....

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

They are high maintaince and in my case its hard to spot/direct feed them b/c when I try to, everyone comes around to get fed too. Even the hermit crabs. Everyone eats except the sun coral:confused:

4. 120gallons

120gallons Astrea Snail

They actually require no light and if you target feed flow won't matter unless you have a powerhead pointed at it direcrtly.

I feed mine with a soda bottle cut in half to cover it, 3 times a week.

Just got it about a month ago, but doing fine.

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Man, thank you for this post! been trying to figure out how I could isolate mine for weeks because every time I feed it I get crabs and snails trying to take the food away from it. They climb right up on top of it and dig it right out of the polyp's. I'm going to go home tonight and try this.

6. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

hmm i have one but im afraid i havent kept to its high maintinence so it isnt looking good!

7. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

I've never really paid all that much attention to mine. I feed daily with a DIY frozen food thats got tons of small stuff in it. With all the flow it finds its way to the sun coral. One reason I think is because its at the bottom of the gyre. I never target feed it. Every now and again I give it a blast with the turkey baster, but other than that it just competes with the rest of the corals.

Been doing find for 3 years now.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

What I have been doing is putting the sun coral in a tupperware outside the tank and feeding it there. wait a couple of hrs and put it back. When I put it back, it like ringing a bell under water and every1 goes to the coral to see what they can get. Its a pain the da azz feeding this way, but its the only way that works for me.

1 person likes this.
  10. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I target feed ours a few times a week. I do it after the lights have been out for 3 or 4 hours, all of the fish are asleep. I do have to block the Cleaner Shrimp and the Coral Banded Shrimp, but other then that no problems. Ours has grown several new polyps since we got it a few months back...8)

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Make SURE you have someone to feed it if you go away, even for a few days! I was gone 2 weeks and came home and mine was Dead....Dead I tell ya! :cry::cry: (mother in law didn't feed it)

12. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

had mine for about 7 mos now seems to be doing fine with several new small tubes/polyps forming on its base. Very nice coral. Feed 2/3 times a week.

[​IMG]