Sun Coral Questions

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Brandon1023, May 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

I've got some too. Mine didn't fully open for a couple of days. I mostly feed them zoo plankton, but lately I've been feeding them brine. I've got some new mushrooms that love the brine, so I just give the polyps what's left, which is usually quite a bit.

My sun polyps always close up at night, I've never been able to feed them when the lights go off.

2. Click Here!

3. BristleWorm

BristleWorm Plankton

From what I read and studdied you're not supposed to put the sun in dirrect light. Meaning don't place it right under the light, keep it getting light indirectly. What I did was place mine under a plate like rock to shade over it, and mine opens alittle bit. I am unsure still on how to get it open completely, I got simaler issues that some other people have had.

4. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

pics, lets see some pics :D !

glad its working out for ya!

5. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Anyone have info on Black Sun Coral. Just picked up a nice little piece for 10.00 and this thing is out like crazy but by Orange Sun coral is a little shy? Can they be that different. They are both in the same amount of lighting also.

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

It might mean they are really hungry!! Have you ever seen the green Tubastrea? They are neat!

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Here is the progession of my sun coral....and it is in the direct light. They come out like this on 2 occasions. One being if I feed my fish brine shrimp, which is what I also feed the coral. I guess they can "smell" it in the tank because it never fails. Two is when the lights go off. They are out every night. It took some doing, trust me. I was in there every other day, pumps off, doing my best to drizzle brine all over the coral to coax them out. It took a couple weeks, but just look at it! Simply amazing! ;D If I want them out during the day, I simply feed my fish a cube of brine shrimp! The last 2 pics are with the lights off, using the flash.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I'm ready for my close-up!

Attached Files: