Urgent Sun coral dying :((

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by dpruitt7450, Sep 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Actually, thee guys can deal with nearly 0 flow, all the way up to a medium strong flow. They're very tolerant of either, as long as they're being fed regularly.

2. Click Here!

3. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

Just tried this I use to do this all the time and he would come out right away, but there wasn't any luck.. he won't come out I'm pretty sure he's on the verge of dying.. any more types for an urgent recovery.. he looks more gray everyday :-X

4. blackraven1425

I think your sun coral is already a goner, then. What I'm seeing in the pictures is ridgelines of the skeleton at every polyp, not tissue. That's part of the reason why it smells bad; it's rotting.

5. dpruitt7450

So should I just throw it away and give up? My fiance gonna freak when I tell her this lol.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I agree with b. Your sun coral has gone to sun coral heaven.

7. blackraven1425

There's nearly no tissue left on it already. It's already pretty well dead.

8. Click Here!

9. dpruitt7450

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

This is all good advice....for your NEXT tubastrea if you so choose to buy one again. That one is pretty much a goner. They can come back from poor conditions, but I don't really see anything promising in your pics at all. Sorry.

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I don't mean to sound like a roosterhead. And I'm asking this as a semi-ignorant on the subject and definitely not looking to argue.

How else do they feed in the wile? Do they catch little pods and eat them? I do feed mysis to mine as well, but I just assumed they filter feed as well, since I'm positive nobody goes down the reef to target feed them daily :p

Thanks for any clarification, bud!

- Mag.

12. blackraven1425

They catch things floating by. They live in caves and other dark areas in the wild. They usually live upside down, in highish flow areas.

Filter feeders basically do the same thing, but the term "filter feeders" tends to refer to things that catch that are microscopic do tiny sized, and don't usually use tentacles. A filter feeder usually would be like a feather duster, or sea cucumber, or porcelain crab.

1 person likes this.