Sump vs Canister Filter?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by swagger87, Jun 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Yeah, I've been reading up and I've seen some horror stories about canister filters. I found a sump on Craigslist for $40 Btw guys!!! Im so excited. The guy had bought it for $220 off of some one else and he decided he didnt want it because he wanted a 300gal instead of his 60gal.

2. Click Here!

3. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Heres a picture of my new tank and my new sump
    Tell me what you guys think.

Attached Files:

4. doTheEvolution

doTheEvolution Astrea Snail

This is where you want to be. Was gonna post this link myself.

5. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Yeah, it was a really helpful link

6. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a marineland C-360 on my 75g and I have had not problems with nitrates, its quiet and does a hell of a job! Media from marineland is expensive but you can use others means for media or but off brand stuff. I have an intank refug too. I would go with the canister is you need space.

7. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Doesn't the In tank Fuge take up a lot of space? What's in it?

8. Click Here!

9. pstroh

pstroh Plankton

If you are going to to do go with the sump method go the extra step and add a refugium section, also room for a drop in skimmer (seperate compartment).

10. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I run a marineland C-360 canister and I love it! I have an established 75g reef with an HOB refugium, in tank skimmer, and its great! You have to change media every so often but thats about it. Its easy to hide and very quiet. I haven't had a single complaint or nitrate problem.

11. iunknown

iunknown Plankton

I'm a freshwater convert so have been pretty stubborn about using a canister filter because lack of experience and the following two benefits:
    -silent (I've been told that a sump done right is silent, but I'm not sure if I buy this. I don't see how you can eliminate the trickling noise. The loudest part of my system is the 9002 skimmer and Vortech MP10).
    -Overflow (I don't like drilling my tanks and have had overflows fail).

Reading through this thread freaks me out about nitrates though, I've had algae problems even with a GFO and skimmer. I've got to learn more about sumps (I'll read through that link) but maybe got them confused with wet/dry filters. So do sumps not typically have bioballs or mechanical filtration other than a sock? So mostly the live rock takes care of ammonia and nitrates?

Would you guys recommend I slowly convert my canister filter into a reactor?