sump under a 55 gallon..... 5 gallon sump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by rglewis, Dec 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

Im currently working on the stand, need to buy LEDs, live rock, sand etc etc etc. It takes time, as you know this is an expensive hobby. Im buying a little at a time, figured getting some use out of some of the equipment now would be great, especially since i hate this Remora.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I've always ran a remote fuge with a setup like this. What you need to do is find a plastic tote. I be you can get a big enough one to hold everything, and with my 55 I never used a bubble trap on my sump and had no problem with microbubbles.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That's what I figured. I'm actually doing the same (with lighting and and powerheads).

5. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Add a 2x4 for a horizontal support and tank the center brace out.
    If you're not confident, put it back in after you get the 10 gallon in.

Like you said, it's not a permanent solution since you'll upgrade within a year...

6. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

I cant put it back in, the tank will not fit with it in there with that support. I dont feel comfortable messing with the stand with the tank on top of it.

I think im going to build a small cabinet and throw a 20 long under it. Maybe if i can throw a potted plant or framed pictures or something on top of it to disguise it, my wife will let me get away with it. HAHA.

I really wish I would have done more reading before getting into this hobby. IMO a 55 is a HORRIBLE size to use for a reef setup.

7. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Get a big pot and have a bunch of mangroves in it. ;) Another option is removing the need for the center brace by adding a wooden frame around the inside of the stand to make it stronger somehow. Maybe with 2x4s. Then you could just get a 37 or something.

Honestly, I'd just wait for the move and upgrade to a new tank and stand with a sump then. What made you decide you need a sump now?

8. Click Here!

9. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

The loud AquaC Remora HOB skimmer and all of the pumps in the display is annoying my wife hahaha.

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Hey man, I just went to the hardware stor to get the wood for my other 125g build, 46 bucks in lumber, yours would be considerably less:

[​IMG]

11. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

^^ agreed did my 90G stand like this without the green supports as they were not needed with my wood working design and testing. But great idea even if its for 6-8months. No need struggling with the setup you have.

12. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

lol, thats the exact design i used for my 40 stand, and going to use for my 125, im adding a couple of vertical supports on the front and back of the 125 though. I would build me a new 55 stand, but just seems like a pain in the rear that can be avoided for the time being. Its going to be a simple cichlid tank for my son once i get the 40 and 125 done, and the stand as it sits now will be fine for that.