sump under a 55 gallon..... 5 gallon sump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by rglewis, Dec 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

Hey guys. I ran into a little problem today. I have a 55 HOB system with a phosban reactor running rowaphos, an AquaC Remora Pro skimmer, and aqueon HOB filter with a nag of chemipure in it (no fiilter pads).

Ive been planning to add a 10 gallon sump with another seperate 10 gallon refugium being fed by a maxijet and gravity feeding water back into the sump and running a reef octopus skimmer and adding another reactor . I finally went to buy the 10 gallon tanks today to get started, and the tens will not fit under my standard AGA stand due to the center braces :-/. Tearing the tank down to modify the stand is not an option at the moment.

So now what? Two 5 Gallon tanks? Im pretty sure they will fit. But Im wondering if the 5 gallon tanks will be enough, or if anyone has any other ideas. I would really like to add a sump, and get the equipment out of view, and quiet down the system a bit, along with upgrading the skimmer. Any help would ne greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Jake1

Jake1 Astrea Snail

With a 5 gal tank you will not have much room for water to drain to when power goes out. Any way you can drill a hole into the wall and put it on the other side of the wall or next to the tank?

4. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

drilling a hole in the wall is not an option ( I rent ) ..... and the tank sits in the living room, so the wife says the setup must have a clean look so putting a sump next to the tank is also out of the question. What if i install a check valve on the return line, would that stop the water from draining back down during a power outage?

5. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

Thank you for the reply by the way ;)

6. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

IMO I would tear the tank down and get another stand made. May as well do it right then do it half ass. Just saying.

7. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Could you build a short little stand that matches yours and put it next to your tank? Then, you could put a 10 gallon (or even a 20 gallon) tank in it.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I agree.

10. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

This setup will actually get taken down within the 6-8 months. All of the equipment will be moved to a 40 breeder/29 sump setup that im currently building, and the 55 is being replaced with a 125 build. Im looking for a DECENT temporary solution that allows me to upgrade my skimmer and get all of these pumps out of the display.

Ive been doing some measuring, and a 5 gallon will not hold the skimmer that I was looking at getting and the return pump and allow for a bubble trap. SO im thinking maybe two five gallons side by side, one sitting a little higher than the other. Display drains into the lower 5 gallon tank, with a filter sock, baffles to stop bubbles and a return pump. And a MJ1200 feeding the higher 5 gallon which houses the skimmer, and gravity feeds back into the sump. I dont see why it wouldnt work, as long as im successful at drilling the 5 gallon for the overflow.

Building a small stand beside the 55 may be a possibility, but like I said, this is temporary so i hate to build a stand for just a few months of use.

Any reason why the dual 5 gallon setup wouldnt work?

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Out of curiosity, why will it be 6-8 months before the new system is setup? Is there a possibility of doing it now (since you're wanting to buy equipment for it already)?

12. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

You could make a really simple stand and put the tank in it.

I wouldn't do the dual 5 gallon tanks because of size and space. It would be hard to fit everything, and it would include more plumbing. IMO, it would be a lot more work that way ;)