Sump Plumbing Questions

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by omgiv, Oct 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omgiv

omgiv Coral Banded Shrimp

If I lie the tee where the long side is on bottom, do you think that there would be enough flow to the fuge? I like the design of the second picture because you definitely will get flow to the fuge but I don't know if I have the space for that. Would a WYE fitting work better? From the pictures I saw it doesn't look like an even split. Thanks!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I think you would get enough flow. If you came off the tee with a 45 to angle it down.... or even put the ball valve in the vertical..... to keep air out. When the drain water comes down, it will have a mix of air and water. So if your valve is lower, it will help keep air on top and full water at the valve so you have steady water folw to the fuge. Again.... slow flow to the fuge. 100 gph is not that much, actually that high end, it really just looks like a trickle, so ya you will get plenty to the fuge.

4. omgiv

Thanks again for the help. So, would any of the configurations work? I think that any of these would work within the space limitations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I am misunderstanding what you are saying, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Ivy

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya, the tee like in the third pic. Then over to your fuge with the valve controling flow. It would still probalby work just fine like that. But if you could lower the line with a coupel of 90s or angle it down with a 45, or put the valve in a vertical place going to the fuge, then you would probably keep more air out.

That is the whole porblem. Air in the drain line. It is an open drain line, it isn't full of water. So the water is just going to slosh around. so anything you can do to keep water on the bottom and air up top will just give you more consistent flow. But it would still "work" if not.

The rearanging fitting pics are cool too.;)

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I prefer the first picture. Valves for throttling have no business in an overflow line leading to the sump, other than completely closed for maintenance it should be unrestricted so there is no chance of plugging the line. The line leading to the refugium can have a valve since it is a branch off the main line and you do want to control the velocity through a fuge.

1 person likes this.
  7. omgiv

Okay...I am going to try this idea too. Is this more of what you were talking about with the valve being in the vertical position? I think that this would be okay dimension wise. I will also have another ball valve on the return. Plumbing that will be much easier. Thanks again for the help.

Please forgive the white paper. I don't have any pipe cut yet and wanted to give the full effect.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Looks good to me!

1 person likes this.
  10. omgiv

Thanks again for the help. I will probably start on it Thursday. Will keep up with this thread though. Thanks!!!!