sump plan for 180g reef

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by greysoul, Mar 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

ok so I need to make a refugium/sump combo for the 180g reef tank I'm putting together. This is the design I've worked out.

Please let me know what you think - design tips, etc. I've been reading melev's site for ideas.

[​IMG]

key points/questions:

Does the skimmer section need to be any certain size larger than the skimmer? I can't figure why it would need to be. As is I have about 1 or 2" clearance minimum on all sides. (SWC Xtreme 200)

Can the skimmer output feed right back into the skimmer section? Will it affect performance?

Anyone see a problem with the 1.5" (maybe 2") PVC line running to the pump? I know the turns will cause some extra static pressure on the input, but I think the Iwaki pumps will handle that, right?

The over all dimensions are: 48 x 18.5 x 18 (LxWxH)
    Refugium 20x18x14
    Skimmer 14x18x12
    return 14x18x12

Maximum capacity ~67 gallons
    Running volume estimated: ~47 gallons.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

i think it looks great.. My same design.. just be sure to have double seals on the sump bulkhead as mine doesnt give me space to have it the other way(the correct way)..

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

im working on one in google sketchup now... ill post here when im done

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

The skimmer section seems fine. There really is no need to make it a certain size, just big enough for the skimmer or any future skimmer that would be bigger. But for your size tank and section you should be able to fit most anything out there for your tank.

Most skimmers give a little lee way for how you can manipulate the exit plumbing to direct it else where. My skimmer pump takes a sution right by the drain, and my exit is on the other side next to the overflow.... just try to orient it the best you can so it gets raw water from the drain and does not recirc water over and over in the skimmer section. Like an inefficient recirc skimmers. Just try to maximize a once through flow.

1.5" suction is pretty big pipe and should not hamper pump performance. Ya 90s will effect it, but a big line is what you want. Not sure you need 2". Best thing is to really go by manufacturer specs and what the pump calls for. Too much restriction on the suction will effect out put and at worst will cause cavitation in the pump. Don't think that willbe the case with 1.5" and 2 90s.

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

How high is the inside of your stand? If you need to get the skimmer out for cleaning or replacement if it won't come out you'll have to drain the whole sump/refugium to get it in or out.;) I think if it was 16" deep it would give you some breathing room. I had a 150g a few years back so just make sure you can easily put it in and take it out. I think an area of 14x12 is fine for the skimmer. I'll post my unit on the thread. I like the illustration.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  7. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

by double seals you mean a gasket inside and out?

What's "the correct way"?

8. Click Here!

9. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I'm not sure yet. Once i get it all figured out I'm going to design the stand.

the stand I have is 25" from bottom to the top of the tank. With an 18" wall on the sump I'll have enough room to wiggle the skimmer out, but it will be a tight fit.

I could cut it back to 16" if I have to, but would rather build a taller stand, maybe put in some mangroves....

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

ok so the design I have is too hard for sketchbook :confused:

so here it is in words: a normal tank (48x18x18), then in the middle of this tank is a slightly smaller one (about 30"x16"x16") which is where the water from your dt drains into. it acts like a fuge... the water overflows from the fuge into the surrounding areas which house the return pump and the skimmer and calcium reactor and uv sterilizer and phosphate reactor or whatever else you may want in your sump.

The design is pretty effective

11. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Attached Files: