Sump help!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by packagerat, Jul 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. packagerat

packagerat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Pictures of sump plumbing and overflow. The cap to the standpipe is not installed yet untill I can figure out my problem. With cap off though water level stays constant in overflow if that means anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I think youve made this way to complicated than you made it out to be... i would follow the rough drawing i made for you.

And the fuge to to be fed by a single 400gph pump and to gravity feed back to sump.
    way to many bend/pipe and too much air getting trapped in the line .

you want to take advantage of gravity since your mechanical's are below your main tank in the basement.
    and whats the quickest way down ? SRAIGHT DOWN ! if at all possible with no t's or obstructions.

4. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

After looking at your pics again I would have to agree with Tangster. I would take the Tee section out that is feeding your fuge and just feed your sump. Then on your return line to the tank feed the fuge off of that. Have you tried to run it with the valve closed to your fuge?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Man you have a 1.5 in DWV T.Y in there backwards LOL that will cause lots of back pressure.. Get that out and add a simple T the T.Y the way you have it is acting like a dam almost , Thats why plumbing codes are what they are and thats not allowed anywhere I ever read the code book :) And thats where I'd start then go to the other change . Plumbing and Elect HVAC is not a hobby there is always a reason for the codes and why we install mechanical systems a certain way. thats free advice take it for what its worth .

6. packagerat

Ha I kill me! No seriousley I did it that way on purpose not realizing the back pressure issue. I thought it would be a smoother flow to the fuge. Trying to kick myself in the butt, but I cant reach;D

I will pick up the parts and take out the DWM TY and put in straight pipe and add a Tee to the return line to feed the fuge. Hopefuly I will have good news tomorrow night!

Tangster thanks for your help!

7. packagerat

Did as you suggested Tangster but the pump still runs dry :confused:. Took out DWV TY fitting and put fuge feed on return line. Also took out the standpipe to see if that would make a difference, but still same problem. Should I make the pump return area in sump larger?

8. Click Here!

9. packagerat

Wildreef
    If I run drain straight down wouldnt the water be coming in so fast that it would splash all over? If making pump return area bigger does not help I will try your suggestion. Thanks for your help!

10. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

How tall are your baffles in your sump?

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Of course. At 1800 gph what do you think is going to happen? It's going to be turbulent.

Increasing the return pump area isn't going to help, just delay the inevitable. If your pump's rate is exceeding the drain's rate, you will eventually run it dry no matter how large the return area is.

12. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

yeah bottom line is your drain isnt keeping up with your feed back to the tank, at this point it's time to straighten everything up in the plumbing what size bulkheads do you have and what size pipe?