Sump/Fuge/Return DIY Build thread / INSTALLED...DONE !!Page 5

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by lillys Grandad, Mar 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Thanx...its gonna be a sweet azz sump...just wait and see !!;D

2. Click Here!

3. ravensix

ravensix Fire Worm

4. lillys Grandad

OK..so the water leak test was successful.
    So the following photos detail the installation of the two water tight partitions that must not leak also.

Here is what was required to be done to the corners so as to not interfere with the water tight integrity of the bottom seal..cut the corners off and sand.
    [​IMG]

This is an example of the use of highly sophisticated engineering devices in order to produce the exact results required.;D ...yes, that is a bowl'o nuts.
    [​IMG]

In order to achieve the equal pressure on the seal..standard bean pot flipped upside down, with the stew pot full of water and pushed against the side.
    [​IMG]

So, with everything square and right with the world, I let it cure for a few hours...add a couple more layers of sealant..and then let it cure overnight.
    [​IMG]

This morning I installed the second partition..much easier since the first partition is pulling and holding the walls square...so just add a couple more layers of sealant to these two partitions...then on to the next stage.
    Like most everything in this hobby...you gotta take your time.8)
    [​IMG]
    Looking at this and the plan on the first page it must be noted that the chamber partition on the left is the fuge (10 1/2 inches) ...the chamber partition on the right is the return (10 inches) all working with gravity overflow to the return.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

You got it goin on LG! Are you taking custom orders yet?;)

6. lillys Grandad

..that's funny;D lol ...But, because I built my own stand, and it is not of "standard" dimensions...so after looking at all my options, it would have been impossible to get exactly what I wanted..plus the fun of DIY, which I really enjoy....and the money is about the same...I'll be into this for about 200.00.8)
    ....and thanx for the compliment !!

7. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Nice build! Did you order the acrylic online? Is 1/4" rigid enough? I'm looking for acrylic for some baffles on my sump build.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

not online..I got it from TAP plastics, an ALL plastics store in sacramento..petroleum product..when I first started planning it was 8.10 a square foot...when I went to buy it it was 8.60 a square foot, for the 1/4...if it did not have four partitions when complete it would surely bow out and bust...but with the partitions and taking the time for curing..it is, and will be plenty rigid....and I have some surprises in regards to the "extra" support;)

10. ravensix

ravensix Fire Worm

Wow! That looks amazing!

11. lillys Grandad

Thank you !!!
    My intention is to not only have a display tank, but also when the doors are opened below, I would wish to see a display sump..sort of.. :p

12. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I need to come back by when this is finished, dude.... Looks rad