Sump/display turnover rate

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Thatgrimguy, Mar 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Well, there is also a rate that the water just flys right past the skimmer and is well under filtered from what it could be. At some point we are just moving water around... which is noisy and expensive. I'm starting to realize that this point is well under what most people (myself included) think it is.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is around 250 to 270 gph.

4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I think I was trying to say this, but you said it 10x better, and in a LOT less words....;D I should have read first and I would have said "+1"

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

This is such a revelation to me for some reason.

I feel silly having run around 1900gph (mag24) on my tank since inception.

6. silor

silor Sea Dragon

I'm at 3x my display volume on my new tank we shall see...
    But my old tank was at 30x tank volume and I hate it

7. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I made the same mistake before I differentiated between total turnover, DT turnnover, and sump/fuge/filter turnover.

Now on my 72 it's about 2-3X for the sump, and 1700 GPH for my DT.

8. Click Here!

9. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Hey Grim! I have the 90 DT with 20 sump with 85% of water volume. I use the Rio 10HF pump as a return. It should be pushing 350gph with the headloss. Its way over 10x of sump volume, but its getting the job done I believe.

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I guess it's time for me to T off my return and remove some pumps!!! I can pull a mj1200 out that runs my Dual media reactor, I could pull the algae scrubber that is on top of the tank down and add the other one that I have sitting in my garage and still have enough return on the 40b and the 210 displays... that's just freaking awesome!!!

11. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

That actually sounds to me like it makes sense. I have about 2x my tank going through my return pump, with the rest of my flow in my DT being done with power heads. Its been that way since i set up the tank and so far, so good. My huge gets a nice gentle flow and amy skimmer has plenty of time to get out the gunk. Just because it has worked for me does not make it right, it just means i have not skewed up my tank too bad yet!!! Look forward to seeing the comments of more experienced folks!! Has anyone out there done multiple tanks with one each way?

12. wallstdrifter

wallstdrifter Flamingo Tongue

Turnover Rates VS Flow Rates

You guys need to be able to stick to return pump flow rates as specified by manufacturer. Get another skimmer if the manufacturer is not reliable this way. Many of them are less then truthful about their capacities of upper tank size and sump flow capacity. This is a bad way to start.:eek:

If you are buying new also make sure that it fits under your cabinet without problems.

I like the Reef Dynamics skimmers (former Euro Reef.) However, I'm sure you can find a good one from our sponsors.:fish: