Sump/display turnover rate

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Thatgrimguy, Mar 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

im willing to give it a shot, but seriously....what pump? a maxijet maybe?

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Right now I'm running a Hydror L30 (320gph) for my 29g +10g fuge. I guess I could hook up my MaxiJet-1200 as a pump but I feel like that'd be stupid and would leave my L30 without a job!

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

5. jcoreyblack

jcoreyblack Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Very intresting.. Subscribing before my build is complete..

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Lowering my overall flow through my sump sure would quiet my system down and provide less salt creep from bubbles in my sump area. Both sure would be nice!!

I'm thinking of putting a T in my return for my algae scrubber and have it drop into the sump instead of the the display. That will pull 700 - 800 gph from the return. And then just valve the rest down a little and see what results I have. Less electrical use, noise and heat in my system are all enough benefit for me, that if it works even as well as my current high flow layout then I'm in.

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Post pic? Definitely post an update in a little while when you see the results settle in please!

8. Click Here!

9. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

I started up my system with this pump. With head losses, I'm down to about 1-2x DT volume going to the sump.

Tunze Recirculation Pump/Powerhead Silence

This tank is still cycling, so more to come. I have a 4" DSB in the fuge and will be adding macro algae and rubble once everything cycles.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I always aimed for about 5X. So pretty close. When I had my 200 I think I was running about 750gph or so through my sump. Same logic, give the filters a chance to clean really well before returning to the DT. That system was set-up differently as well, as it had its fuge as a separate tank as well. The fuges flow was literally just a trickle.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I'm using a Roi 1700 for my set-up. 55g DT with a 30g sump. Only 25g actual water in the sump, just for you bean counters. If you look at the graph Rio provides, @ 4ft height, it gives you about 352gph. Roughly, that's about 4.5 total water volume turn over rate per hour. I use a 75gph skimmer down there, in which I clean it out every day, and if you were to ask me, it does a great job at pulling out krud. The DT's clean, and my levels all check out. I know there's plenty of ways to skin a catfish (lol) but my way is working fine for me.