sulfur pockets

Discussion in 'Sand' started by cjsdubia, Dec 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

can these occur in sand and crushed coral or just sand?

i had a bad experience last tank i setup with just pockets of this nitrate or sulfur and it worried me alot so i was going to use just crushed coral substrate

the tank will be circulated by vortechs

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Shallow sand beds help to not have that problem.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Denitrifying bacteria needs low-oxygen conditions, not "no oxygen". There is a lot of misinformation about this on the web. Deep sand beds can work to improve denitrification, by adding low-oxygen surface area, but there must be lots of critters, constantly stirring it up, to prevent it from going stagnant. If it goes stagnant, you start getting hydrogen sulfide and other nasties. However, a shallow sand bed, will actually provide a home for denitrifying bacteria and will have less chance of going stagnant. Really, whether or not a SSB is sufficient depends on how many other surfaces there are, such as rock, for denitrifying bacteria to inhabit. Many people have luck with no sand and just rock even. Personally, I like the look of sand, but keep it fairly shallow. I also don't like sugar sand, as it get's blown around too much, but crushed coral is ugly and tends to trap lots of crud, so, I wouldn't recommend that. Medium grain sand with grains around 2mm usually is a great compromise IME.

5. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

you think it would be best to start with dry sand? the last time i got two bags from foster and smith and it totally went stagnant and turned the bottoms of my live rock rancid rather quickly and the bed was probly 2 inchs deep