Sulawesi inspired pico tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by That Guy, Feb 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

well here is an update... I did a bit of fine tuning on the hardscape by raising the slope of the back right corner as well as pulling out the light color sandy forground (ADA nile sand) with a darker aquasoil (ADA amazonia II fine grain)
    I also pulled out the dwarf baby tears and went with something i havent really seen done before... I took a Marimo ball (Cladophora aegagropila) and tore it up into little pieces and painstakingly planted it to achieve a carpet effect. (not saying it hasn't been done before...just saying that I haven't ever seen or heard of anyone using marimo balls as a ground cover :) so its an original idea as far as i am concerned hahah )
    Anyway here is the newly worked tank....
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Man, you better watch it. You know you have a problem when you can't even look at a vase without wanting to turn it into a aquarium ;)
    Anyways, I think it's awesome. I love the close up of the scape. Looks a lot bigger than it really is. I can tell you spent a lot of time on the little detail work!

4. That Guy

haha why do you think I bought my fiance those flowers that came in that vase? :) j/k

to be honest i am a bit embarrassed of the amount of time i spent working on this scape! I did it using needle point forceps along with countless other DIY tools while working under a magnifying glass that i rigged up to some loc-line and a potato chip bag clip in order to easily position the magnifying glass where i needed it haha!

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

How will you keep the tank warm? Or will it be a case of relying on the room temp?

6. That Guy

Cladophora aegagropila is actually native to temperate waters in japan. So as long as it has strong light the temp is irrelevant. I dont have any animals in the tank so im not really concerned..

7. phoenixhieghts

Do you not plan on adding any animals? Or is this just a little astethic tank??

8. Click Here!

9. That Guy

the tank is less than a gallon so i dont feel it is right to add any animals. So i will just keep it for growing plants :)

10. phoenixhieghts

oh i see. Can i ask then, why do it underwater? Why not have it out of water and use moss to replicate grass and maybe a bonzai to represent a tree. I have often thought of doing somthing like this, just never got around to doing it.

11. That Guy

the added challenge?

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You can really tell though. I used to have a friend that worked on mini landscape models and I used to help a lot. The scape in yours really reminded me of that. You can kind of develop an eye for that sort of thing. And it does look like every single pebble has been purposely placed. Very nice job.