Suggestions for Planted Tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Dave_J, Nov 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dave_J

Dave_J Astrea Snail

I 've volunteered to take over the 72 gallon bow-front tank in my daughter's schools' library. It was a brackish water tank - the school wanted it converted to freshwater.
    So, I removed the under-gravel filters and cleaned the heck out of the tank, hoses, and pumps. It's running on two Eheim 2213 canisters. I am installing Eheim's surface suction extractor for one intake on one of the pumps and the Eheim installation kit (improved suction) for the other intake on the other pump. It will be fitted with a Coralife Aqualight fixture (2x65 watt 6700 Kelvin bulbs - total 130 watts). I have 6 bags of Seachem's Flourite substrate, a piece of Malaysia driftwood, and some gray slate stones.
    My goal is to create a diverse species tank with fish and plants for the children to enjoy and learn from. Any suggestions on fish and plants (low - med light) would be greatly appreciated.
    [smiley=help.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

You should go to http://www.tropica.com. Look at the Echinodorus, Rotala, Hygrophila, Anubias, and Cryptocoryne species. You shoud also look at Vesicularia dubyana(Java Moss). The Java Moss and Anubias can be grown on the drift wood and on the rocks you have. Tropica will tell you all info for the specific plant you select.

Have you set the tank back up yet? If you haven't go ahead and do it but rinse the Flourite until you physically can't rinse anymore(it's very dusty). If you have set the tank up and have not put the Flourite in you will need to rinse the Flourite more than what you would if the tank had not been set up. It will cloud the tank up really bad.

Have you tested Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH? If not you need to pick up the test kits and do them. You will need to know the pH of the water before you can decide what type of fish you can add. Once your Nitrite reads 0, Nitrate reads 0-25, and Ammonia reads 0 you can add fish. You may add plants as soon as the water is in the tank.

I would also suugest you pick up a thermometer and heater to keep the temp at around 78 Degrees F. Do all of the stuff I listed above and you will be good. If you didn't understand something I said or have more questions post them up.

4. Dave_J

Dave_J Astrea Snail

Thanks reefman_MC for the advice!

I'll check out the tropica website.
    I have'nt set up the tank yet. I'll start washing the Fluorite.
    I'm a little apprehensive in buying livestock over the web. I guess plants will be OK. Have you (or anyone that reads this) ever purchased fish from the internet? If so, did they survive the shipping?

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Way way dusty I second that rinse it good or else. As far as fish think simple and colorful. Kids are not very demanding. Some tetras, rainbow fish and some corys would work nice.

6. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I have bought many fish online, but not very many plants. All of the fish usually survive and plants won't really matter. They usually ship with no problem.