Suggestions for a T5 Fixture

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by kwmjones, Dec 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Typically all blue, but if you have 4 bulbs, 1 white will not cause to much issue.

2. Click Here!

3. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for the advice - the fixture is on the way and the lamps aren't too far behind, should be picking up the tank in 2 weeks and will start a build thread for anyone interested - I have around 40 frags I've collected from reef pets, LFS, Craigslist, atlanta aquarium (on a road trip) and reef farm in Raleigh so should be fun.

4. jgraz

jgraz Astrea Snail

Good choice on the fixture. I've been running the same one over my 90 for quite some time. Your bulb choice is pretty close to mine also but I opted for a purple+ to replace one of the coral+. I run mine front to back
    B+
    P+
    C+
    B+
    B+
    C+
    B+
    B+
    And mine is mounted 7" off the water and about 28.5" off the sand which is as high as I can get it on the leg mounts. I have SPS growing in the lower third of my tank with no problem, I have little doubt I could grow some lower light SPS on the sandbed if I choose to do so. You will be very happy with your decision. If you have any questions let me know.

5. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

Does the purple make a big difference? I may try out a couple of combinations - also, do you all have any shots of your tanks with those lights? Would be cool to check them out

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

No the purple doesn't make a difference from a coral bulb. In fact the purple has lower PAR.

7. jgraz

jgraz Astrea Snail

Right the purple for me is actually there to lessen the intensity in the front of my tank where I have a few things on the sandbed. Plus at least to me it pulls some of the reds out. To me it is a bit more pleasing on the eyes.

8. Click Here!

9. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

Really appreciate all the feedback - will send photos when they arrive!