Sufficienet Lighting?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by jstegall, Mar 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I have a standard 75 gallon tank, with an Aquaticlife 4 lamp T5HO fixture. Currently it's running with 2 each ATI Blue Plus, and Coral Plus bulbs. I've been wondering if I need additional actinic lighting. I have a rainbow trach coral that just isn't as vibrant as it was when I purchased it about 6 months ago. The coral still opens up daily as big as it did when purchased. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Possibly change out one coral plus for a blue plus.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

5. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

Holy cow, I forgot I had posted this. Sorry about the extremely late response. I have a pic of the coral and the results from my latest tests, I took them today.

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - I had no color whatsoever, I ran the test twice, it's a new Salifert kit
    Phosphate - 0 on test, have some gha started running phosban today
    Alk - 7.5dKH
    Mag - 1275
    Salinity 1.025
    PH - 8.29

I'm not sure what to think on the Nitrate test, I have a hard time thinking it would be undetectable, but I did go through a 160 gallon bucket of Instant Ocean in a little over a month with weekly 25% water changes.

Attached Files:

6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

what is the calcium?
    Mag and ALk could be brought up slightly but params look good overall

7. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

Missed the calcium, it's at 425ppm. I dosed some Kent Tech M today to get the mag up some.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

look good.

So the lights that MR Bill suggested and bump up the alk and mag in my opinion.

I like to keep my mag around 1350 and alk 9 but others may say differently

10. Mr. Bill

+1

Also, with GHA present, it's not uncommon for NO3 and PO4 to be undetectable as GHA absorbs both.

Concerning your coral, do you target-feed? Most LPS corals fair best when given a variety of meaty seafood (clam, squid, krill, zooplankton, etc., etc.).

11. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I have only target fed the coral once or twice. My damn cleaner shrimp like to shove their claws in the corals mouth to get to the food, even after the opening has closed up. My wife loves those shrimp, but some things about them drive me nuts. The shrimp do get their share of meaty food when I feed. I guess I need to find a small strainer or something to cover the coral overnight after I feed it, that should take care of that problem.

12. Mr. Bill

That's what skunk cleaners do, unfortunately. Between that and the fact that their cleaning tendencies have no real impact on parasite control, and the fact that they're also known for killing other, more beneficial shrimp species, it's a wonder people continue to buy them for their reef tanks. Personally, I'll never own another one.

For those who choose to keep theirs, covering the coral at feeding time works fairly well. Target-feeding the shrimp first may also provide some benefit.