such thing as PVC glue?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Amass78, Feb 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Amass78

Amass78 Plankton

hey thanks for replying Gresham, I'm talking about the PVC that goes inside the bulkhead(gasket) so i could put the plastic tubing on.

2. Click Here!

3. Amass78

Amass78 Plankton

Sorry, I will be in Davis this weekend until Sunday night...The reason i asked this question is because i went to Aquarium Concept in Hayward and they said not to use super glue, and use PVC glue but i cant find any at Home Depot.  It's probably just a minor thing...sorry that im being so complicated :-/..haha

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

1st off, what type of tubing are you talking about? Your not being to clear here. 2nd, you don't use "glue" to attach "tubing" to a bulkhead, you use a "barbed" fitting. Glue will do nothing for you in that situation. PVC glue is used for PVC on PVC connections and if you can't find it at HD, you must be looking in the wrong place as HD is almost never out of PVC glue (hint: it's either IPS or Weld-On brand name located in the PVC fittings row). For the connection between the flange of the bulkhead and the o-ring, some use 100% aquarium silicone, but I would stay away from doing that as it requires a certain process. If your talking to AC, what did you say to them to get them to say to use PVC glue?

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Amass78 link=board=DIY;num=1077868053;start=0#11 date=02/27/04 at 11:54:21]Sorry, I will be in Davis this weekend until Sunday night...The reason i asked this question is because i went to Aquarium Concept in Hayward and they said not to use super glue, and use PVC glue but i cant find any at Home Depot.  It's probably just a minor thing...sorry that im being so complicated :-/..haha[/quote]
    Home Depot out of PVC glue... No way.
    Look on the row with all the PVC pipe it is there.
    The 2 part primer and cement you are looking for is made by Oatey. Reg clear CEMENT and NSF Purple Primer. They call it the Handy Pack if that helps.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Amass78 link=board=DIY;num=1077868053;start=0#10 date=02/27/04 at 11:51:38]hey thanks for replying Gresham, I'm talking about the PVC that goes inside the bulkhead(gasket) so i could put the plastic tubing on.[/quote]
    I think you are talking about the bulk head. If it is leaking here you need no cement just tighten it up like you would a bolt and nut. The O ring keeps it from leaking but need to be tight.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If talking about the barbed fitting then you need a clamp.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I don't use clamps for non-pressure situations, but to be safe, I'd go with Nautilus' advice.

10. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

My advice is to put the bulkhead in place and tighten it But make sure not to case the gasket to bind and crease I think aga says to use a little fresh water on the gasket when tightening. Also you can easily test the bulkhead with out filling the whole tank Just fill the overflow itself if it doesn't leak your done if it does there isn't that much water to siphon. As far as the tail end of the bulkhead I have glued the and it works but you have to remove whole bulkhead if a problem occurs. Just press fit and test is what I say.

11. Amass78

Amass78 Plankton

Whew what a frustrating day at work...sorry it took me so long to reply and being confusing. if you would like to IM me on aol, my screen name is AMass78.

Let me try to clear things up about the PVC and the tubing...I know the bulkhead is the main one that goes into the overflow, but in order for me to put on the rubber tubing, i need to put in the PVC into the bulkhead. If someone will let me know their emailing address...i could take a pic with my camera phone and send it to you.....thanks and sorry once again..didnt mean to piss everyone off. I'm not a DIY kind of guy.

12. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

go to home depot get a piece of 1 inch pvc put it in the bottom of bulk head and put hose on that the length is about 3-5 inches so see if the will sell you that much