Sucess - Live Hawaiian Souvenirs - 6 new fish

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SkyFire, Jun 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I'm going to Oahu, Waikiki in Sept. and was perusing the baggage regulaions when i came across the fact that they'll let you place live fish in your checked baggage.

So the thought came to me why not pick up some live souvenirs in the form of some new inhabitants for my tanks. I have the names of 2 good LFS one of which has been in operation and hand netting his fiish for over 60 yrs.
    Since you cant have a handwarmer packt on a plane @6 all i plan to microwave some rice and place it in the box w/the fish to keep the warm over the 5names hr flight + transit time home.

Has anyone done this before?

Any ideas/tips to ensure they'll arrive safely?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

they'll really let you put live fish in your checked baggage?

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Do not put fish in your checked bags! The scanning machines may harm them and you won't be able to keep an eye on them. Take them in a small cooler and/or a hand towel on a carryon and show them to the TSA agents. As long as the fish are freeswimming and active they should let you through. Do not try to hide the fish from TSA. It is also a good idea to call the head of TSA at that particular airport to let them know you will be travelling with live fish. Do not transport large, venomous or spiky fish, it just isn't worth the risk.

Page 28 of this PDF should be of great value to you:
    http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/downloads/pdf/version19.pdf

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

You can't carry anything on over a few ounces, so you'd have to check it which means live critters are prob dead critters by the time ya get home!

Edit: after readin panfishes post, they'll let you on with a bag big enough?

They confiscated a small snow globe from me because of the liquid!

6. warlord

warlord Bristle Worm

ive never done it but if you talk to the guy at the store there he can probably give you some tips on how to pack it really good. also i would make sure to mark your bag with ALOT of fragile stickers because i have seen some bags get treated pretty roughly
    (i travel alot) it does sound really cool though and he will probably have some awesome fish

7. consumedcorals

consumedcorals Astrea Snail

I really do not think you would need the warmer. I have brought livestock back with me from several places. I just keep the livestock in a cooler and I always like to have my stuff triple or quad bagged. Make sure they pump some oxygen in the bags before you leave, just explain to them what you are doing and they will be more than happy to help.

8. Click Here!

9. warlord

warlord Bristle Worm

i didnt think about what everyone else said...maybe you could set up shipping from the fish store there and have it sent out the day you leave for home

10. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Thanks so much, carry on was my first thought but wasn't sure they'd let me...I'll be sure to show them the reciept so they don't think i caught them from the wild (just to avoid any problems).

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Yes you can, I double checked w/the airline. You just need to declare them & label your luggage as having "Tropical Fish", I'd also label it as fragile and w/a this way up sticker.

But I will get them on as my carry on instead if possible, per the panfish's post.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  12. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

have a sweet trip!