Stylophora

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Swisswiss, Dec 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Also, I've noticed most of the other corals I've added have browned out to some degree though most seem ok. The ones I've gotten that came from under floods haven't done so well.

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Stn

:(!!!! really bummed out, it seems to have stabilised but gone are those nice fuzzy days....

its been in there for a 7 or 8 months, at first encrusted nicely. not sure if it light related but the "bleaching" are the areas less exposed to light. if you look at the coral from the top it seems to still have a healthy canopy of tissue.... really hope it makes a come back.

Attached Files:

4. David-

David- Astrea Snail

Sry to hear man:(Ya thats not Bleaching that's tissue lost and I would frag it up so you don't lose anymore, There pretty quick growers ime so won't be to long before it looks good again.

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I wonder if something close by is bothering it?

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Those paly's don't look too friendly, though IIRC, stylophora packs a punch of it's own.

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I had a similar issue with my purple stylo at one point as well. The tiny frag encrusted like crazy and branches out nicely. The underneath of the branches and trunk were alway white but fuzzy from what I presume lack of light.

After about 8 months it seemed that I had tissue loss at the base f the coral and it started spreading up branches. I fragged a few large branches and placed them elsewhere in the reef. Fast forward 4 months or so and all frags are doing great and new tissue had encrusted over all the old dead skeleton.

Not sure what happened but I did have some temp swings and low alk for awhile immediately preceding this though. Good luck hope my experience can help.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

oh no swiss! such a beautiful piece!! I would frag it although I don't know how :)

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

im reluctant to frag as i fear it would do more harm than good. the base seems healthy but if i notice more tissue loss i may have to bit the bullet :s

could it be the pavona that hits it that far? i have a Pavona decussates who's filaments iv seen reach several cm but never on a the Pavona frondifera (hope thats right)

11. sen5241b

sen5241b Astrea Snail

my pink stylo sits about 12 inches under a 150W mh AND LOVES THE LIGHT.