Stylophora

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Swisswiss, Dec 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Nube question: what is a nem?

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

nem is short for aNEMone, the reason why i think yours is a polli, is due to its short compact branches. stylophoras branch out more. but i may be wrong by all means.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Billme, yours is definitely a stylophora, rose/pink stylo.

Unfortunately, you cant go off of just branch structure when differentiating between stylo's and pocci's. However generally, stylos have more of a rounded, thick branch, where as poccis are knobby and thin branched. Also, color is a big give away here as pocci's are either green, brown or rainbow, not pink like yours.

Swiss I think you have your corals mixed up ;) pocci's branch out more and stylos stay more compact IMO, Of course, with different flow and lighting, you could make a stylo branch out and a pocci stay compact.

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Thanks for the input gents. The variation within species is what I was thinking about. After looking over a number of pics on the two, I wasn't able to defiantly say which it is. Right now it's in a high flow area about 12 inches below a kessil 150 and seems to dig it. It's starting to get a little more brown and I assumed that is because the zooplankton is increasing. Hope that's a good thing?

Attached Files:

6. Swisswiss

7. Swisswiss

never mind that, youre right Va reef. did some more searching

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Those were the same pics I first looked up Swiss. I can honestly say that first hand, mine looks like piccolopora and I can "see" resemblance to stylo. The variation seems enormous in either. Any thoughts on the increase in brown tint on the picco/stylo?

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

what lights are on your tank and what were the lights on the tank it was previously in?

Also what are your phosphates? (I would only trust a Hannah checker for this)

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It's previous tank had led's but I don't know the specifics on type. I have it directly under a kessil 150. Phosphates tonight: .04 (Hanna). They have consistently been under .05, usually closer to .03.