Stylophora

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Swisswiss, Dec 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

The siblings are lookin' good! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Any tips on lighting/flow/feeding? I just got a purple one today.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Start out at low to med lighting, you can work it up to high if you wish. Stylophora have very dense skeletons, suggesting they can handle very strong flow. Aim for high flow, but not continuous blasting, the more random the better. As an SPS it doesn't have to be fed, but it does benefit if you can keep on top of your water parameters. I use coral frenzy and love it, others will suggest other foods that are also excellent like reef chilli.

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

agreed, though personally I'm more of a believer that sps should be placed in their final location right from the start. but what VA reef said is valid, you can try to acclimate it to your lighting if it is more intense than that of your LFS, but keep in mind moving it around will also cause stress/harm.

i placed mine there and didn't move it and it did take a good week to fuzz up the way it is today. its placed i would say about 50 cm under my radions, in terms of water flow it receives a strong random flow obtained from the collision of my two tunze streams that turn on intermittently creating random swirls in the middle of my tank.

post a pic of yours if you can would love to see a purple one

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Thanks for the excellent tips VA & Swiss. Right now it's in the sand bed under a Kessil 150. I am going to move it up a bit on a rock about half way up. I'll post a pic tonight.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Yeah it's best to pick a spot and stay there, however if that spot happens to be in highlight, I'd slowly work it up to the light. Other than that, try not to move it or touch it.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I think tomorrow I'll go ahead and put it up closer to the middle of the tank and see how it does. I expect it'll do ok in the full light. It came from a LFS with similar lights to mine. Another sps that I got just recently from there is doing well under direct light close to the top.

Attached Files:

10. Swisswiss

that looks more like a pocillopora to me billme and an equally awesome coral. speaking of which i just received one i ordered by mail, it arrived in poor conditions though :( really hope i can save the little guy but i don't have high expectations. ill post a pic soon

[​IMG]

Also got this little guy, crazy how hardy these nems are

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  11. Swisswiss

Looks a lot better already, keeping fingers crossed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

looks like it will make it according to my nube opinion. I looked up Picillopora and Stylophora and I can't be sure either way. The place I bought it is advertising as Stylophora. I'll put up another pic when the lights come on.