Sturgis Bound...........Finally

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Otty, Jul 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Boys are so silly :D

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I've been skiing in Colorado and we were about 300 feet down from the top of the divide. If you wanted up there, you had to take the highest lift as far as it would go, and walk the rest of the way. Then ski down. This was my first time skiing...so I didn't do it. I'll try again sometimes, but I doubt any peeing on the top will happen, especially when it's at zero degrees F, give or take a few digits.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

The world is our bathroom.... ::)

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Ballroom, poolroom, call it what you will. We rule!

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Take a look on your HD and tell me that all the pieces say made in USA. I can tell you that a lot of parts on any Harley are not made in America.

Many japanese bikes are built here, and even if not, there are hundreds of thousands of american workers that sell, service, and are employed by japanese companies. So buying imports is still helping the economy.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

If you want an american sport bike, there is another option. Roehr, but it will cost you 45k.
    Introductory Price Of Roehr 1250sc Extended Through The End Of 2009 News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

Fischers are Ok, but only 650cc, and the motor is a clone of the suzuki SV650 v twin motor. IMHO, you would be better off with a sv650 (the baby brother to my bike) and throw some better gsxr forks on it, and a nice upgrade rear shock. Save yourself a few grand and have a better bike.

Jwin, the buell's have made great bounds forward, but are pricey for the ones that are worth looking at. An 1125R is more $$ than any of the japanese 1000cc sport bikes, and it still is not quite competitive with the smaller displacement bikes of japanese ilk. Plus, that 1125r LC v twin is italian, not american. IMHO, they got that right.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

We can argue about this all day long. I have been involved in manufacturing all my adult life and have been in more company's plants then you can shake a stick at. 90% of all products made for say (Honda) are build in Japanese owned companys in the USA. Yes they pay american workers but all the profits go back to Japan or another foregin country for the part the produce.

My loyalit is "buy american when ever possible". America doen't produce every thing but the things they do produce needs to be supported by americans.

Just like the shirt says:

"If I had to Explain... You Wouldn't Understand"

2 people like this.
  10. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I think one thing is for sure, we can all agree to disagree

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

nice... I was thinking the same thing... I just didn't want to imply anything...

economics. it's an actual class. you can learn this stuff... it's a bit more involved than how many plants you've been in.

Buying anything in the world, if you buy it in America, helps the American economy... it's really a fact. Just because profits go somewhere else, isn't really relevant to if the transaction helps our economy.

I would also say buying a Honda that's assembled in America helps our economy quite a bit more than a GM pickup built in Mexico.

Both employ Americans as dealers and transporters, etc. but only one of those two employs American laborers at the plant. Giving people jobs is the number one impact to the economy, nothing else even comes close. Whether that job be a salesman, manufacturer, or whatever. It has a much more direct influence than where profits go... following the profits is a red herring when it comes to economic influence.

Profits are for shareholders first, economy second. Jobs are for the economy and trickle down throughout it.

1 person likes this.
  12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Otty, I understand, seriously I do. As a Buyer,I get it. For me Harley does not build a bike that fits my lifestyle. Buell actually might build a bike that I could buy, now that they make a liquid cooled sport bike. But, it has a few too many quirks, and is more money than it should be. With a ducati or an aprilia or other higher end bike, I can sense the craftsmanship and all that that makes it more expensive compared to a japanese bike of the same ilk. For example, Looking at the triple clamps on a ducati 1098R you can see the machine work required to get that chunk of billet into a a piece of art, that is functional. See, I get it, and that is something that is very hard to convey to a non gearhead. I know you can appreciate stuff like that as well.

Also, riding fast is not always equate to being more dangerous.

If you do a track day running flat out 10/10ths of your limit at a road race circuit, you are still much safer than going exactly the speed limit on the street.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.