Sturgis Bound...........Finally

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Otty, Jul 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

IMHO buying a new bike, as a new rider is a waste of good money. The Ex500 is a much more suitable mount for someone that wants to have a little fun on the bike and is not 15-16. I won't bash the ninja 250, they did an awesome job of redoing it, but I weigh 240lbs, and I can't even think of riding a 250. It's true thata set of pipes really uncorks both of these bikes though. I say get the 500 as it will allow you to stick with the same bike a few more years. 1 season on the 250 and you will probably wish you had more bike. That will happen on the 500 as well, but it will keep you satiated longer. The 250 is technically a 250R, right? if so, expect the insurance for a younger rider like yourself to be way higher than you would expect. It is stupid, but many insurance companies look for "R"s and charge more for having one in the bikes name. They liken it to Race, but anyone that really understands, knows thata race bike is a bit different than the street bike it is based on.

Fwiw, My mom would not let me on a street bike while I was under her roof as well.

She was cool about letting me get a dirt bike at a young age, and I may have stepped over a line when I was 15 and bout an 84 Honda XL600R. For those that don't know about that bike, it is a 600cc single cylinder dirt bike with turn signals and all the street legal stuff. If you know what an XR600r is, that is what it was, with the street gear.

She never did figure out that the license plate on the back meant something.

I pushed that bike all the way out our 1/8 mile driveway, and down the road a good 1/8 mile before I started it.

Now I feel a little bad about that nearly 20 years ago, but she meant well, and I always wore gear.

I would rather all motorcyclists wear helmets that are more than fashion statements and don't give any real protection. But, I won't make fun of folks riding that don't wear helmets, not to their face at least. LOL My only real issue with those that wear no helmets is that they are the reason bike insurance is costly for some.

Guys that try to make fun of motorcyclists that wear gear are immature and probably the biggest posers out there.

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Agreed. My neighborhood would flail me alive if I bought a dirt bike or buggy or ATV or anything else fun and noisy like that :sick: They already throw hissy fits about my car being in the driveway...because we "are not allowed to have more cars than your garage can hold" or whatever the heck it is. However, when you have 2 college kids under one roof, and both have a car, it's kind of difficult to fit them in our 3 car garage. :p Except the 2 car garage side is occupied by tons of stuff like work bench, lawnmower, table saw, and then a mini van on the side. The other garage is daddy's side...bleah. Golf clubs galore. So my brother and I are stuck in the driveway. Which sucked in the winter time in highschool, because we were the ones who had to leave the house at 7 AM when it was in the teens outside. ;)

I'm seriously looking at the EX500 because I know I'd want the extra power and I also know that I would try to have that bike for as long as possible. Being a college/fresh out of college person will not be easy on my bank account, I can already tell.

One more thing. Private party or dealership, if I buy used?

4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

And another note, my apologies Otty, as I've essentially hijacked this thread. So sorry *bows down*. :) Hope you don't mind...if you do I'll shine your shoes or other humiliating manual labor :D